My Son Gags Himself!!!!!!!

This is going to sound weird, but I hope it's not weird enough that noone else has experienced it! I have a son who will be a year old next week. He does something so gross, and I have no clue what to do about it! He gags himself! He'll put his hand or finger down his throat - usually his eyes will turn red and watery and he'll cough. As soon as I notice him doing it, I take his hand out of his mouth and tell him "No, no."....but then he'll do it again! It's freaking me out, because he did it the other day and actually made himself throw up. Is this an attention thing? It usually happens when I have to leave the room for a minute. But c'mon! It's gross! I don't know how to keep him from doing it!

wow it sounds like my son! ha ha ha! both my son (age 2) and daughter (age 6) did that. well my son still does it. and yes sometimes he vomits. however it is just one more of thier discoveries i think. i used to work at a daycare center in the toddler room. and would say 8 out the 10 children did it. some were more intrested in it then others. this one little girl i had did it ALL day long!! it drove me NUTS, but a few weeks later she just stopped. i think they just like to discover the feeling. (that is what my doctor told me) to a toddler all feelings are NEW. no matter what they are. but yes it is nasty, but not to worry it too will pass.

I would mention this to your Dr. but it may just be something he has discovered. More than likely he will outgrow this. Sometimes the more attention you draw to it, the more he is going to do it. HTH! Good luck

My daughter who is now almost 6 used to do this a lot when she was little!! She ended up having such huge tonsils that they were what was actually gagging her and they had to be removed. Her tonsils were actually going down her throat! They didn't actually take them out until she was 4 but in the long run she was gagging herself because it felt totally natural to her since her tonsils were doing it anyway. Okay I know reading this might not make a whole lot of sense but it was something that I never would have thought to check out and we didn't until she was much older. Good luck!!

My daughter is now two and she did the same thing. My family even joked that she would be balimic (I didn't think it was funny). The only way I got her to stop was to ignore it. I stoped even acknowledgeing that she was doing it and she stoped doing it after a week or two. Hope this helps!

My response won't offer any suggestions for stopping him or tell you why he's doing it. But, my son does it too so at least you know your kid isn't the only one. My son is 3 1/2 and constantly puts his fingers in his mouth. Its kind of like thumb-sucking for him - his comfort zone, I guess. But when he gets upset he jams them back in his throat and gag himself. It's weird - I agree. His older sister was a thumb-sucker and she gre out of it eventually, so we are just hoping that he'll grow out of it, too.

Maybe try distracting him with putting something in his hand and telling him to play with it. Maybe something that is musical or makes funny noises to divert his attention.
Or....I just thought of this and I don't know if it would work. Every time you see him do it at home, pick him up and put him in the (empty) bathtub with no toys in it. If he is going to make himself vomit, he might as well do it in there where it is easier to clean up. And it won't be fun for him because there are no toys and it is taking him away from the fun environment he is in. Tell him he can come out when he is finished. Don't give him warnings - when you see him start to do it, immediately pick him up, say "no gagging," and put him in the bathtub until he stops. He will associate the behavior with "no fun" and stop. I think this would work.

H.,
You are not alone. My son is 17 mos. old and he has been gagging himself for a few months now. He usually does it when he is bored in his high chair. I really don't have a solution for you other than distraction. I will tell him no and then give him a toy or some food. He doesn't do it obsessively and it has decreased since he started. I think it's just something that he can do himself that gets a reaction out of me and out of himself! I think it is more common than you may think. Sorry I don't have better advice, but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone and this too shall pass!

Your kid is not wierd! My son did that for a short time, maybe a month or so. The more i made a big deal out of it, the more he did it. He never made himself throw up, but it was still disturbing. I would say, keep an eye on him when he does it, but dont make too big a deal...it should fade off. I think its mostly curiosity, that they can get a wierd reaction out of them selves physically!

1 / 3