My Son Doesn't Want to Walk!

My son has been crawling since he was 8 months old. he walks around furniture great and has almost been natural for him since he's been 9mo. he is currently 12mo and will not even to stand on his own or walk! I have caught him standing on his own when he is zoned out on whatever is on tv and even caught him on video walking while again... zoned out and watching tv.
He will never, willingly stand or walk. and when i try to encourage it he makes his legs go limp. when i let go of his hands while he is standing or walking, he goes straight to the ground.
I don't know what to do! I know he can do it and I've seen him walk on his own... in fact i caught it on video!!! but wont do any of it if he knows what is going on. he usually cries the whole time that i am trying to encourage him to walk or stand.
we have wood floors... but carpet in the bedrooms. it doesn't matter if he is on wood, carpet, grass or sand! he refuses!

I would back off. He may not be walking because you are pushing him so hard. You know he can do it, so no physical problems, he's just not ready. I bet if you let him do it in him own time and back off for now, he will be walking independently in no time :)

He is just not ready, do not worry. Kids do things on their own time and there is not some magic age at which they must be doing this or that!

It sounds to me like he just doesn't think walking is as important as you do at this point. I think the more you fuss with him about it, the less he'll be inclined to take an interest in it.
Before you know it, he'll be all over the place and you'll have a tough time keeping up with him.

I wouldn't be worried just yet.

Best wishes.

Mama, who told you to be worried about this? Somebody is not being nice to you if they said there is something wrong with him not walking. You should be perfectly content for him to be standing and holding on to things. Soon, if he isn't already, he'll be cruising, walking while he holds on.

You know how babies have milestones they master, like turning over, pulling their heads up while on their tummies, scooting on the floor, then crawling on the floor, then pulling up to a knee position, then to a standing position? Well, then comes the cruising, and then finally, the walking. While these physical milestones are being met, they also start language. Sometimes when they are really focusing on one milestone, the other gets left behind for a while. So some children stop trying to talk when they are trying to walk, and vice versa. Learning to walk and to talk is very hard, Mama.

In your child's instance, he is VERY young to meet either the talking or the walking milestone. I urge you to ask your ped or look up childhood development to negate whatever people are saying to make you worried that he isn't walking yet or just because you want him to. He has to be ready for this physically and in his brain. And no amount of wishing is going to make it so.

Don't put him in the position to cry with walking - it's a real mistake for you to do this. I know you didn't know any better, but you do now. If you doubt what I'm saying, show your pediatrician this thread and he or she will let you know what's right.

All my best,

Um, why is this a problem?
Dr. Sears "The Baby Book" is a great reference guide for what is "normal" I suggest you get a copy from the library, or any other early child development book, I'm sure it will help you understand and feel better about your son :)

Let him be. He will walk when he is ready.

I wouldn't be worried just yet.

Best wishes.

You said it yourself, he knows how to do it. He just doesn't feel like it when you want him to. I used to be like that with my son. I had to learn that nature will take its course. My son is now 15 months and running. Just 2 months ago, he offically learned to walk after taking his first step at 11 months. Give him time. Enjoy him. He'll get it in due time.

I would continue to give him opportunities to walk, but before 18 mo. or so, it's not something you should worry about. My DD was over a year old and would prefer knee walking to standing for a long time. She's fine and runs everywhere as a 2 yr old. He'll most likely be fine. Something that helped my DD was to allow her to stand and fall on our bed so she learned it was OK. Give him more time.

1 / 3