My Son Can't Stop Pooping in His Pants

My son is 7 years old and we have continually have had problems with him pooping in his pants, not just track marks but actually small chunks, he says he has gas and doesn't feel it coming out. I am not sure if he is just being lazy and not stopping to go or if there would be some medical condition that is affecting him not being able to hold it in til he reaches the bathroom. I plan on taking him to the doctors but wanted to know if any other moms have had this happen?

Well I haven't made it to the doctors yet I have a call into them. I know my sons dad isn't involved in his life at the moment due to his choice but he is a very well liked happy child with my parents also very much involved in his life, plus he does have two sisters too. I have talked to him and discussed that he needs to be a big boy just like when he goes pee he has no problem with that. It is a work in progress and I plan on paying more attention to him though I already do. I will let you know what happens with the doctor. Thanks for your advice and comments as of now.

The only cases I've heard of, of a boy that old having accidents, involved pretty serious emotional issues. I wouldn't delay getting him to the doctor.

Take care.

we had the same problem earlier this year. my son is 7 and it all of a sudden started happening. we make him go to the bathroom every night before he gets in the shower. this has helped so far. im interested in knowing what the doctor says also. hope this helps.

I have been going through a huge custody battle with my 6 year old daughter and my ex mother in law. She was fully potty trained prior to all this starting and now she also poops in her pants. She says the same thing about how she thinks she has gas. I really believe that it is linked to emotional stuff although I would like to know what the docter says also. Good luck with everything, I know how frustrating it can be to deal with.

There is a condition called active withholding where a child holds their poop in so long that it just starts coming out little by little on its own. I would check with your doctor. Good luck.

Please look into food allergies. This might not be emotional at all but physical. Wheat is a huge allergies and can cause bathroom problems and wheat is in everything it seems. Salad dressing, candy bars etc It is called gluten on the back of the ingredients chart. Dairy of course is a big one too.

My BIL has this problem with his 9 year old son, and it drives his new wife CRAZY!! She makes him clean his own shorts, and if he leaves back home for the weekend, she saves them for him (YUCK!!). My nephew is a bit overweight, so we aren't sure if it is laziness, or drama related to the divorce and new families, but my guess would be the emotional stuff. He is very much loved, and his sister travels back and forth with him and she seems quite settled and fine, but he is a sensitive guy. They haven't taken him in yet due to both parents needing to be there and the fact that he's only at dad's on Sat. and Sun. and Mom works weekends (and most Dr.'s are closed anyways.) so it's kind of a mess, literally! Anyways, I know this wasn't much help, but I just wanted to say, he's not the only one. Good luck and let us know what the Dr. said!

1 / 3