My Son Ate a Crayon! Do I Need to Worry????

I was in the bathroom and came out to find my 14-month old son with a crayon bit off and I'm sure some was already swallowed. I'm sure that will upset his stomach but they are non-toxic. Do I need to be worried at all? And HOW do I get that out of his teeth?!?!??! IT'S EMBEDDED in those little molars and brushing does nothing!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!

Thanks for all the advice. I was scared to try to the toothpick to get the crayon out of his teeth because I was afraid of hurting him (he's a fiesty one)! So I waited, and all of the eating and drinking from the day ended up clearing it out. Thanks again!!!

I wouldn't worry...my son has eaten a few and is fine...his poop may be bright for a little bit, but he'll be fine...:) As for getting it out of his teeth, maybe a toothpick if he will let you? or maybe eating some raw veggies would help get it out of there...good luck...i agree to call the doc just for suggestions on how to get it out of his teeth :)

First, I would not be worried. Connor has eaten crayon a couple of times. He was fine. It seems to just rinse out of his mouth after he drinks juice.

Hi D.,
I actually watched on the history channel about crayons. They have no toxicity in them. So, you are ok with the crayon in the stomach. As for the teeth and crayon in them, my daughter did that once (she was 3yrs) I had a tooth tool and she let me kind of scrape it out of her teeth and then we spit and brushed. You could also try a tooth pick if you don't have a tool for the teeth. I know not all children will sit still for that but what I did was made up a song about the crayon and she sat still for me and stopped biting the crayons. I hope this helps!

Don't be surprised if your son has some funky looking poop! Seeing specks of blue or green can be a shocker.

I would probably rather see a crayon eaten than a piece stuck up his nose. (I had THAT dr. visit with a bead - WHY do kids do things like that???) If part was bit off and it is in his teeth, there's a chance he chewed up most of it. Just keep brushing well and eventually it will come off. Also, call the dr. because drs and nurses deal with calls like this all the time. They may have better advise for getting it out of his teeth. Good luck.

1 / 3