My Sister Suspects Day Care Provider Drugged Her Son

I'm wondering what she should do. This is the first time her son has gone to day care (grandparents watch him, but they are visiting me, so she needed a back up). Anyway, dad went to pick him up and he was sleeping on the couch during a movie. Apparently he has never, ever fallen asleep during a movie in his life! He is 4.5 years old. My sister has him in the car later and was trying to ask him how he liked day care and he was really monotone and drowsy. She is beside herself. So far she is keeping his urine for testing. But how do you go about testing something like that?

to clarify: nobody is thinking narcotics, more like benedryl .

For the time being I have decided not to share the results of the testing for the reason that I question the anonymity of this site.
Please know that when I asked the question I was strictly trying to get help with going about getting labs and left out some of the details. In doing so I know I left many to think we were all paranoid. For example, when my BIL picked his son up, three of the five children were sleeping (no scheduled nap there) and two has fallen asleep on the hard surface floor. Even if we are being paranoid, there are no accusations or allegations! The only people who know about this are close family, the pediatrition, and my sisters close friend and everything said so far is in confidence. The labs were about testing their paranoia. This way there are only facts, no accusations. And yes, they may still be paranoid. So be it. My BIL had his 6-month-old baby girl die in day care (from a previous marriage.) So they get a pass on paranoia in my opinion. (she died by being placed on an adult bed to sleep and fell between the bed and wall and suffocated).

If he's never been to daycare, then he's probably just tired! Going to school, preschool, daycare, etc. REALLY wears kids out -especially when they're not used to it. He's probably gotten about 8 times the activity and exercise today that he usually gets with the grandparents.Both of my kids were basically walking zombies the first few days they started an all-day preschool program -they couldn't wait to get home and go to bed (and this is not like them at all). When they were at home and I was at home, we were VERY active -outside all the time; always going to jumpy places, parks and other activities, but preschool still wears them out. Maybe he's coming down with something. I have to say -I find it a little strange that she would just automatically jump to the conclusion that they must have drugged him! That's extremely serious.

I think she may be a little overly dramatic, but if she feels that strongly, she should take him to the hospital.

I use to work in a daycare. I worked there for about 5 years. The employees are not supposed to give the children meds without the parents permission. However, we had two employees who worked with two year olds. Whenever they would put the children down for nap there were always one or two children who did not go to sleep. This use to upset the two teachers in that room so they started giving the children benedryl to make them sleep. When I found out I called dss and told them what I found out. So dss showed up at the daycare one day and caught them in the act. Come to find out one of the children was allergic to benedryl and had to go to the hospital. Both of them was fired and the parents pressed charges.

This is the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. He's 4.5 years old, goes to a new place, plays hard, gets excited and falls asleep during the movie. But she goes right to, "Oh Gee, he must have been drugged". Grow the heck up. Kids get very tired when they are in new environments. It's emotionally exhausting to see and meet new people, play new games, change the routine, get up earlier and drive to the new place.

Why would a provider drug only this one child and on his first day? You didn't say all the kids were sleeping. Even though you do go on to insinuate that many of the kids sleep in front of the tv there, it's most likely that this is a good provider that wears the kids out.

Do you have any idea how much of this paranoid nonsense goes on with people in regard to daycare!?! It's just maddening when people act this way.

Purple drink that tastes like candy could be 100% grape juice. I water it down because it's so sweet. And afternoon movies is an excellent way to wind down a busy day. Parents pay for a good place for their child to stay and rest, relaxation, and entertainment is as important to a day as learning and exercise are.

This situation is wrong. It's business libel unless or until proof has been provided. Business libel is illegal when anyone can identify the person you are talking about either through their name being used, or details about the person being put out there that allow other people to guess their identity. This is borderline since most of us would not know who this provider is. But there are family and friends and readers close to this poster that may know who it is. It's irresponsible and innappropriate to make these accusations with so little to go on.

I hope that this isn't a case of mothers intuition. If it is, then I'll be guilty of being too trusting. But we have to trust people most of the time. This world is hard enough to navigate without making people feel like we are walking in land mine fields everyday. That's how I feel in my chosen profession. I feel like people will come into my home and make snap judgments and then try to ruin my business and reputation just to get their jollies. It's posts like this that make me feel this way.

It seems kind of paranoid of her. Actually, it seems VERY paranoid of her. The other day, my parents watched my son the entire day. He has never been anywhere else more then a few hours. He was so drowsy on the way home, and fell asleep while he was eating dinner! He face-planted right into his food. Now, if you know my son...that's SO not like him. He is so active and busy and almost never seems tired. He certainly has never fallen asleep without our prompting. You sister's son was in a new place, with new stimulation, with other kids, and most likely just used energy he never has before. She should take him to the Dr. and chill out a bit. I mean, it's kind of crazy to jump straight to that conclusion. It's so incredibly unlikely someone would try to do that and get away with it. She can't just go around claiming they are drugging her son with absolutely NO proof...it could ruin these people. She does have NO proof. A drowsy kid is NOT proof.

It sounds like she is being quite paranoid. The child probably got all wound up playing with all the kids and got tired during the movie... it is typical behavior for kids going to a daycare, especially since he's not used to it.

However, if she is still extra concerned, she can go and buy her own drug testing kit from a pharmacy or take the urine to a lab if she wants to test it, or, if she wants to pay a lot of money, take him to the er.

Whoa.

Take him to the ER. Like now.
Just in case something else is wrong.

Right away.
ANd with the urine sample.
You can't keep it forever.

Could he just be really tired?
Did he nap today?
But as you said, this is not his typical behavior.
It was his first time at Daycare, too.

Did he hit his head or anything? Head injuries can cause drowsiness too.
Take him to the ER.

She can take him to the ER and have him checked out and have the urine tested, but she does sound like she is jumping to conclusions. And if she is already not happy with the idea of day care, it's easy for her to assume the worst. My DD is 3 and usually a ball of energy, but there are times she has been totally wiped out tired from whatever we did that day and ended up falling asleep on the couch while watching TV. A few weeks ago she was playing outside in the cold weather for almost 2 hours, then had a friend over for a play date. After her friend left she was playing with her play-doh at the kitchen table and ended falling asleep right there with her head on the table! If the day care was more activity than he is used to, I could see how tired that could make him!

EDITED TO ADD: if he is talking about purple juice that tasted like candy, my guess would be Kool-Aid...every preparation of liquid Benadryl that I have ever seen has been pink, or clear (if dye-free). Of course I would be livid if I knew my child was being given Benadryl just to make her tired and able to nap in day care. She can still ask the doctor if there is a way to test for it in urine. She can also talk with the day care director and just mention that her son talked about having a purple drink and she is wondering what it was.

geeze, take it to his doctor I guess. maybe he is just exhausted from being there, he is used to being at home and daycares keep you busy and playing with kids, etc surely no drugging happened...that is crazy!

1 / 3