My Newborn Is nocturnal....help??!!!

my sisters son was born june 14 2008. he nurses like a champ but sleeps ALL day and is awake at night. she had a c section so is on pain killers. we think maybe thats why but we arent sure. how do you stimulate a week old and what tips can i give her to stimulate him and attempt to get him on schedule of sleeping at night and being awake durind the day??

When he wakes up for his morning feeding (say at 6 or 7:00) feed him and then try to keep him awake as long as you can by playing with him, etc. He will probably fall asleep before the next feeding but do the best you can. After the next feeding (around 9-10:00) feed him and then put him down for a nap. Keep alternating wake and sleep times after each feeding. Wake him up to feed one last time before you go to bed (around 10 or 11:00)and then put him back down. When he wakes up in the middle of the night feed him and put him back down again. Good luck.

Well i had 2 csections.. And pain pills do not affect the baby in any way.. The molacules of the pain pill are too large and wont pass to the baby .. I was told that twice.. So it is only a case of days and nights confused.. And rember no kid is alike

Sounds like day/night confusion. Make sure that she puts the baby in a place (like a window) where plenty of light comes in during the day. Sunlight naturally nurtures the baby's biorhythms to know the difference between night and day. Also, make sure the baby is where the action is during the day and have Mom and other family members go about her business as usual. Newborns will sleep right through most of the commotion (which is fine), but at least the variables are in place to know that activity/light is awake, quiet/dark is sleep. It is probably too early to get on any kind of set schedule, but that will be a little easier in a few weeks. I used to talk on the phone, cook, and have the TV going with my newborn right there in the bouncer. It takes about a week or so to get it all worked out. :)

Our daughter had her days and nights turned around for the first couple of weeks. I too had a c/s, plus she was jaundiced and in an incubator for the first few days, but I think most newborns are like that no matter what they go through. We got Lily on a "schedule" (which of course varies--not necessarily a particular time of day) of feeding as soon as she woke up, then playing with toys and keeping her awake, putting her down to nap, and then starting over. Eventually (after 2 weeks or so) she got adjusted. I wish you the best! It's tough when they're not sleeping!!

My first was also nocturnal the first 6 weeks and that is not at ALL unusual. After that he started getting his days and nights straight....I didn't wake him up a lot like the others suggested - I hated to wake up a sleeping baby.
They usually do start to figure it out naturally around 6 weeks.

During the day, lay the baby on a blanket or in his carrier near a bright window. Don't actually put him in a patch of sunlight, but make sure he's exposed to light during the day--even when he's sleeping. Exposure to light is supposed to be key in helping our bodies adjust to wakful and restful times. Wake the baby up every three hours to eat if he doesn't do it on his own during the day--and let him sleep at long as he wants at night, and make sure there are normal household sounds during the day--in other words, make sure your sister isn't keeping things quiet. If this is her first child, and it's just the two of them, that may be happening without her meaning to, but having music or the TV on in the background or talking on the phone all count. Then in the evening, dim the lights and make things quiet. In the middle of the night don't turn on lights to feed the baby if she can help it (those green-glowing nightlights are great), and don't change the diaper at every night feeding unless there's poop in it (which may be the case though for a baby so young). And don't make eye contact or talk at all to the baby during night feedings--both of those things are stimulating for babies and you can rouse a child out of its drowsiness that way. Hope these ideas help!

My 3 month old was nocturnal also. I talked to the Dr. about it, and he laughed at me when I asked if there was anything I could do to reverse it. He said "pray". Although this made me very angry - say that to a hormal woman on no sleep..., he is probably somewhat right. We just lived with it, and in a few weeks, she had her schedule re-set by herself.

Hang in there!

It's called "reverse cycling" and is completely normal in the first few weeks. Here's a link with more info on it and tips for handling it
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

And beware of any kind of "schedule" right now. The only thing baby needs in these first few weeks is unlimited cuddling and nursing. And expect baby to still sleep a lot during the day. They are not awake very much at all in these first few weeks. Also, even though all the adults in the house will want to sleep all night, don't expect baby to for a while. And actually, she should not. She should be nursed often, even overnight, in the first few weeks. As she matures, she'll be able to go longer stretches at night without nursing. In a newborn, long stretches of sleep are not a sign of a good sleeper, but rather a sign of a hungry baby. They can use sleep to get thru the pains of hunger (of course this changes as baby matures, and is able to go longer stretches without waking or nursing).

You don't say if your sister has breasfed before. Either way, here is a great link to some excellent info on the first few weeks of breastfeeding she may find helpful. This page will also provide you with even more links. I found all of them super helpful when I was first starting out.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/basics/index.html

Congrats to your sister on the new baby and for breastfeeding! Best wishes and good luck!

1 / 3