My Newborn Is Having Problems Sucking

My son is 7 weeks old and we are having problems with him sucking. We do have a dr brown bottle that he does VERY well with, its the skinny tall one. We also have the short fat ones but he doesn't do well with those. We have bought other bottles in hopes that he would be able to suck on the nipple and get formula out, but so far he is unable to. Is there anyway that we can teach him to suck better? Or should we just stick with the bottle that works? I'd just hate to have all these other bottles go to waste. Any advice would be appreciated...thanks

My little one couldn't breastfeed and had trouble with bottles, too. We saw several lactation consultants, and the problem seemed to be her tongue--she'd put it up on the roof of her mouth. All babies are different, but if that's the problem, then angling the nipple toward the roof of her mouth when you first put it in might help. Good luck!

The other bottles won't go to waste. You let him learn on the one he's sucking on now and as he learns and he gets really good at it you can start to use the other bottles. Some babies just do better at first with one kind of bottle, but they learn and start to use others as well. So I would just stick with what works and use the other bottles later. Babies just learn at their own pace.

I would stick with the bottle that is working, plus those are really great bottles. You might want to look and see if there is a trading group in your area, where local moms can get together and trade items that don't work for them for items that do. It is great to get rid of stuff you don't need and hopefully get stuff you do. If you don't have one I would bundle all your products together that you don't use and either try to sell them or just donate them to goodwill and take the tax break.

Northeast Medical Center has a program called "Ask First". The number is 1-800-575-1275. You can call there and request to speak to a "Lactation Nurse". These women are very knowledgeable and will be glad to help you with this type of problem. It's a free service and I think you'll find it worth the call. I'd try that.

My son was an 8 week preemie so he had not learned or developed the sucking when he was first born. The nurses in the neonatal nursery always told us (and they would practice with him when we weren't there) to us a pacifer. This would get my son to practice sucking when he wasn't eating because at the time he was being tube fed and then once he was able to suck the pacifer they pulled out the bottles. His favorite was the tall, skinny Dr. Brown's. We used EVERY brand and the Dr. Brown's were the best. Hope that helps

Something else is to ck to make sure you're getting the nipple all the way in his mouth - while it seems like it would gag him, it's important that the nipple be inserted and the round 'breast like' part of the bottle be close to his mouth if not touching his little nose...

Mine only used Avent from day 1 - and he's 7.5 months old, and has adjusted to Playtex Ventair in the last 2 months as well...

Stick with what works if he is having problems with the others you don't want him to get tired and then not eat because he has given up. You could always give the others away.

There is a thing called a finger feeder. It looks like a tube the hospital would use for patients that need to be tube fed and you connect it to a large syringe. The end of the tube gets taped to your finger and you put your finger in the baby's mouth. As the baby sucks on the tube (and your finger) the formula or breast milk comes out of the syringe into the tube and into the baby's mouth. This way you'd be able to see what the problem is...if the baby isn't sucking or if he just doesn't like the nipples you're using. Your peditrician should be able to get you one or you can ask the nurses in the office. Good luck!

1 / 3