My Lactose Allergic 13 Month Old..

My son is allergic to lactose. He gets hives. I am breast feeding, but milk supply isn't what it used to be and he just does not nurse like he used to. We have tried rice milk (plain and vanilla), soy milk (vanilla) and he does not like it. Any other ideas? He is a pretty picky eater so far, and I am a little concerned he is not getting enough protein and calcium.

Thanks for the great responses. I should have mentioned he also broke out from goat cheese, that's why we never tried the goat's milk. I think I will try the lactaid or lactose free milk and maybe mix it with the breast milk.

My son has a dairy allergy and we were worried about his calcium and vit D intake. He did not like the soy milk (any flavor) so we give him orange juice with calcium and vitamin D (the vitamin D helps absorb the calcium.) Additionally his dr has me give him tums as a calcium supplement. I didn't see anyone mention either of these and I just thought I would add it as another option.

My husband was also allergic to lactose when he was a baby. they told his mom to make chocolate milk as the chocolate breaks down the lactose. They make chocolate soy/rice milks as well and usually when they are so young they can use the calories. If you are worried about the benefits milk provides, chocolate is not the worst alternative.

I the suggestions below are very well. I myself drink the lactose milk. (I love it!!) But you should remember everything is going to taste different from your milk. When it was time to transition my son. I did 3/4 breast milk, 1/4 whole milk for a week, then 1/2 for the next week,and the last week we did 3/4 whole milk, 1/4 breastmilk. That way by the forth week he did fine with just milk. So which ever you try I would definately mix it so he can get used to the taste. Good luck.

Is there a reason that you think your supply is low? Are you opposed to continueing to breastfeed. That might help in outgrowing the allergy. If you don't want to continue, goats milk is as close to human milk as you can get.

Sorry that I am just popping in and don't have time to read the other responses, so this may be a repeat!

Please speak with either the pediatrician to determine how many calories/fat/nutrients from fluids are required daily in lieu of breast milk, dairy milk or formula. It is dangerous to start an infant on a rice milk, even the enriched kind, in place of the above. It does not contain the correct nutrients required by a growing infant.

If possible, continue to nurse. You may have to limit the dairy in your diet. It depends on the mother and child, but some studies have detected dairy protein passed through breastmilk. If he will not take to the breast, pump as much as is needed and give it to him in a bottle or cup, mix with cereal, etc.

And if your child has a true allergy, please check with your allergist before starting any other kind of nut milks, such as almond!!

The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network is a great resource. I believe it is www.foodallergy.org. Or google "FANN". Also, there are several parent-support groups in the Chicago area for parents of kids with allergies. You can google MOCHA (Northside), POCHA (Oak Park), POCA of DuPage to find out more.

My 14 month old son has also had a milk protein allergy since birth. It took a week or so, but, we did transition him from nutramigen to the Silk brand of soy milk. Also, he likes the So! brand of soy yogurt. You can find it at whole foods.

If you want to keep breastfeeding, I think that would be great! To keep your supply up drink lots of water, there are even teas and supplements that help - mother's milk that contains fenugreek, or the fenugreek liquid itself - available in healthfood stores. If you want to stop breastfeeding, you can try goats milk or the soys (each brand tastes different, I love west soy best). But my Dr. says it's OK to not force milk if she just won't drink it. I give her calcium vitamins and I just make sure she eats healthy, getting lots of fruits, veggies, and proteins. My child will eat cheese and yogurt, so that's the only dairy she gets and all the Dr.s I've talked to say that's fine.

Hi!

Yes, there are some other alternatives. My family does not drink milk at all due to my thoughts on how cows milk affects our health as humans but thats a different question.

You can also try almond milk and my son loves goats milk. It is cheaper at trader joes than jewel. Perhaps try the unsweetened version of the almond milk because the regular is pretty sweet. It also comes in plain or vanilla flavored. There is also goats cheese and yogurt as well as cream cheese. My son only likes the goat mozarella or goat cheddar from whole foods. It comes in a long bar for around 7.99. The cheaper stuff he just doesnt like. There is also coconut milk yogurt from whole foods that tastes great. Make sure you are giving lots of dark leafy green vegetables.......he/she will get all the calcium he needs from those.

Good Luck to you!

1 / 3