My Husband Is Dizzy

My husband has been having dizzy spells over the past two weeks and we are both at wits end. You all have been so helpful before, I'm hoping someone has a similar story or advice on this one. He has been to three different doctors (one at my insistence because the dizzy spells worsened yesterday) and all three tell him it is not an ear infection and gave him nothing. One doc finally gave him meds for the dizzyness, but no one can pinpoint the problem. The dizzy spells last about 10-30 seconds and he said generally feel like the world is spinning without him. Yesterday, they changed slightly to feel more like he just spun himself. He had a cold a month ago, but does not appear to have any other cold like symptoms now. One doc suggested an MRI to rule out brain tumors and then a referral to an Ear/Nose/Throat (ENT) specialist and/or neurologist. My husband is concerned about the cost, but I say let's hit the specialists and get this figured out! He had similar bouts of dizzyness two other times, about 5 and 15 years ago. They were shorter,only a couple of days. Does anyone have a similar story to help me understand or calm down about this? The unknown is making us crazy! Does anyone have any advice we've missed? Thanks in advance! You have all been wonderful!

lots of good advice...I would add 2 things:

I have a friend who had some form of the flu this season and she and others at her work who seemed to have the same flu still have dizziness

This may sounds crazy, but I get all kinds of weird symptoms if I eat trans fats. One of them is dizziness. Try eliminating them! It's a good idea anyway.

I didn't look at all the responses, but I would recommend looking into blood sugar issues. They can be caused by diabetes, hypoglycemia, adrenal fatigue. Also, might try a chiropractor---his neck may be out and need adjusting, which could cause dizzyness as well.

Have they ruled out anemia?
How about hypoglycemia?
Low Potassium and Sodium?
Sounds like you need to find a doctor that's willing to look into things a bit more. I'd go for the specialists, too. Health is worth far more.

Hi there,

I have had the same thing happen to me about 4 or 5 times. I have never been officially diagnosed, but I think it is some form of vertigo. My mom has it, and I believe it's hereditary.

Mine always pops up when I have had a head cold. I see a chiropractor occasionally and when I start feeling like I am going to be getting dizzy, I take over the counter meds for motion sickness. They contain meclazine (sp?) and help a ton. I have noticed if I can keep my head straight without bending it, it helps control the dizziness.

Working w/ my chiropractor has helped a lot. The first episode I had I was in bed the whole day and every movement made me spin. I was to the point where when I got up out of bed, I almost fell over with dizziness. After I took the motion sickness meds it was better, but once I started working w/ the chiropractor, the episodes were not near as severe.

Good luck, I know how scary this can be and I wish your husband the best!

I have had this myself, and although he may not have what I did, mine turned out to be an inner-ear virus. I happened to be at the pedistrician with one of my kids and casually mentioned that I was dealing with this unexplained dizzyness. She told me her sister had had an inner-ear virus, and it made her so dizzy she could barely stand! I don't know that you can get this diagnosed, per se, but mine was gone after a few weeks without ever finding any other explanation. There was also one year around Christmas where several people in the family were dealing with dizzyness and no other symptoms. (And involving 3 different households, so it wasn't being caused by something in our home) and again, after a couple weeks disappeared- especially after lots of rest. If he can't find a cause, it may just resolve with time. Good luck!

Not fun! My mother-in-law had a similar situation and went to several doctors/specialist. She was finally diagnosed with Minears (sp.?) disease. She went to some physical therapy to help counteract the vertigo. She flew on an airplane recently and hasn't really had a problem with it. Anyways, she said one thing that really helped was going to a chiropractor and getting her ears adjusted. They can do it, she said it was a little painful, but really helpful. But if you do choose to go to a chiropractor I would make sure they do adjust the ears. Good luck. I hope he gets better soon.

My husband suffers from periodic vertigo. It is non specific and benign but can come on at anytime. He uses meclazine which is available over the counter for help when he has a "spell". He had a MRI, a VNG from the ENT and all came back okay. Sometimes you have crystals in your ears that get unsettled and cause you to feel as if you are out of balance or dizzy. There are exercises that can help you to trigger the dizziness and get the crystals to settle back down. They are not fun but they do help speed up the recovery of the vertigo. They involve, laying down quickly and turning your head to make the dizziness re-occur. An ENT can show you these or you can look them up online. It made me and my husband feel better to have the MRI to rule out any tumors or irregularities and to have a baseline for any future problems.

this sounds very similar to something I experienced about 8 months ago. My friend is an ER Doctor so she helped me out, but it was so scary. I had vertigo - I swear I thought I had a brain tumor or something awful and I think it really was vertigo. I had also been sick and developed a head infection and they think it went into my ears. Every time I woke up from sleep or turned in my sleep it would make me want to throw up - it was so weird. Good luck to you - I am not trying to get you to not take health tests, but at least keep this in mind as you are going through testing to see if it's a possibility. Best wished to you,

Hello K.;
I am by no means involved in the medical field but I have had bouts of dizziness and have found that it is usually that my neck is out of wack so I would check with a chyropractor (sorry about my spelling.) and see if he might need an adjustment and then if that doesn't work I would go to the ENT dr. and see if there is something there before spending a bunch of money on specilists. Another thing that came to mind, you stated that he had had a cold and even though he might not have an ear infection his eustation tubes could be pluged up so have him work on that area starting just behind his earlobe down just past his jaw. If it is that it might hurt a little ( depending on how bad it is, it might hurt a lot.) because that area could be cloged.
Sure hope this helps and good luck.

My former SIL used to get dizzy, vertigo feeling spells, and she also had lots of migraines. Took them several years to figure out that is was type II diabetes (her blood sugar was in the 600s when they finally fugured it out)... I don't think they ever thought to check her blood sugar as she is doesn't have the body type usually associated with risk for diabetes (she's 5'6" and about 125 or 130... healthy and slim, but the disease apparently runs in her family). Just something to think about and look at. Make sure they've check his blood sugar with his blood work. Hope you figure it out soon!

1 / 3