My Hair Is Falling Out in Clumps, Not a Few Pieces Here or There! Suggestions

I have a really odd question -- my hair recently started falling out in clumps, not just a few pieces here or there. I am actually getting worried about it. I normally have really thick hair, but I fell like I am loosing too much hair. I have been under a lot of stress lately, i recently lost my job and we are a 2 income family, so money is a worry. I have 2 children - 4 and 2 1/2. we opted to remove them from daycare until we can afford to have them in daycare again. I recently did color my hair dark, but i have done that numerous times in the past. My hair doesn't look or feel damaged. I use Purology products for my hair, so I am not sure what to think of this.

Thoughts?

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but biotin from the pharmacy worked for me. I was having the same thing going on for a while and it seemed to work. I am sorry and hope something works for you.

A.

Maybe you have alofesia. I don't know if I spelled it wright. It's hereditary, and it's brought on by stress. My sister had never heard of it until hers started falling out in clumps, and she went to the doctor about it.

Well, you probably hit part of the nail on the head; stress will cause hair loss. You should see a doctor, though, as he can give you medication to help stop the hair loss.

Hi Emily sorry about your hair loss and the loss of income. I have an internet business that specializes in diversified markets within the marketplace. One of those markets is nutritional supplementation. As a result I have gained alot of education on the impact of nutrition and/or lack of nutrition. Where I am going with this is.....Hair loss can happen when there is a lack of calcium and or magnesium. I have come to learn that as a society we do not get the minerals that we once did through nutrition due to the processing of our foods and the requirements to put minerals back into the soil that our agricultural specialists (farmers) once did. (cost mostly). I also work in the field of psychology and with your recent loss of employment the stress is a huge factor to consider. If interested in talking you can contact me via email. ____@____.com

Selenium is a trace mineral that is essential to good health but required only in small amounts. Selenium is incorporated into proteins to make selenoproteins, which are important antioxidant enzymes. The antioxidant properties of selenoproteins help prevent cellular damage from free radicals. Free radicals are natural by-products of oxygen metabolism that may contribute to the development of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Other selenoproteins help regulate thyroid function and play a role in the immune system. (copied)

Selenium was recommended by my dr. once upon a time for the same thing. Plants grown in rich soil are the best "real" sources of this. Ask the dr if he thinks you could try the supplement. You can find it @ any store and you don't need much.

Stress can make the body do awful things! Recently I had a year I would never want to live again. In the end my thyroid took the brunt. My hair was falling out all over the place. Have a doctor check your T3 and T4 and the ratio of one to the other. I am now on T3 suppliment and my hair is back!

Yep, definitely stress-related. It happened to me a couple of years ago. Fortunately I was able to control it a little with walks and yoga until time passed. Try to do what you can to relax, and consider a visit to your doctor, as others have suggested.

Hi E.,

I lost clumps of hair when I was pregnant and again when I stopped nursing. It was a hormonal issue and my body fixed itself, my doctor did offer some hormone therapy that I declined. My hair is all grown back now.

Good Luck,

hi emily,

my hair started falling out a few years ago. i am convinced it was due to extreme stress. at the time my children were 3 & 8, i was married to an amphetamine addict, i was sick with bi-weekly migraines and our finances were a mess. i was seeing a bazillion doctors, trying to figure out what was "wrong" with me. honestly, in the middle of all of the stress, i couldn't SEE it. didn't recognize the cumulative effects of all of the things that were going wrong. i don't know if there are other things in your life that are stressing you out or even if your hair loss is due to stress, but i can say from personal experience that once i was able to get away from my husband, the migraines stopped, my hair started growing back and the financial woes got a lot better. good luck!

Hi Emily!!
I am a hairstylist and I feel awful for you. This has actually happened to me several times, always when I was stressed out about to my max. It is crazy how stress effects us and our bodies, hair especially. I am so glad you ar using Pureology, it is the best product I have ever used. I would like to let you know couple of things. If you are not already start taking vitamins a multi or even prenatals. I actually take prenatals for my daily vitamin. They are great for your hair. Nioxin is also for thinning hair, it is a great line. You should be able to get it at your salon or ask your stylist where you can get it. There are shamps and cond. as well as scalp treatments (several kinds). It may make your hair feel a little more dry, but you can use you Pureology cond a couple times a week. It may be just fine on your hair, it is hard to know without me not seeing or feeling the condition it is in. I hope this helps you out and try to relax a bit. HaHa right? I know how you feel, my husband just got laid off of his job a week ago, I have been scared to death, because we are moving in a week and I am opening a new salon. I noticed this AM I am losing more hair than normal, (break out the Nioxin!)I will say some prayers for you and your family. Things will get better for you and I hope my information can help you a little. Good Luck!!!

See your doctor you could also have iron deficiency. I had the same problem and my iron levels were very low, and I didn't respond to iron supplements so I had to have an iron infusion. That helped out, plus I got rid of as much stress in my life as I could - having a special needs child with complex problems is not that easy to get rid of.

mom to Ryan 9 (DS, possible autism, bipolar, anxiety and now pain insensitivity)
Abbey and Alexa 3 - my two normal princesses

1 / 3