My Four Year Old - Dallas,TX

he keeps coughing coughing coughing help

Please have him seen by a doctor. With all the illness going around I would want a definate diagnosis

Fever? Sore throat? If yes, he may have H1N1. Take him to Dr. That's how my son's were symptom wise and they suspected H1N1. Could also be related to allergies. If there is no fever then there is no flu. good luck

I know this is going to sound strange but it really does work. Rub Vick's vapor rub (or generic) all over his feet and cover with socks. The socks keeps it on his feet. I thought it was nuts when I was told this but when nothing else worked last winter I tried it with both my 4 year old, my 9 year old, & my husband ! Worked wonderful. HTH and your son feels better soon.

mucinex cough for kids works great

K. D.,

Take your four year family physician.
J. I.

Our pediatrician likes the Mucinex granules for kids. There is an expectorant one and one that also has a cough suppressant. It dumps on the kiddo's tongue like a pixie stick. Our doctor prefers this to even the Mucinex liquid...don't know why...but we have good results. Good luck!

Delsym for kids. Also tea with honey & lemon.

If no other symptoms then water water water. When we get dehydrated we will cough. He needs water regardless. Our bodies are 90% water and it affects us when we don't have enough. Try it and see. I guarentee it will help. He needs half his body weight in ounces of water. Example if he is 50lbs. then he needs 25oz. daily. If he is dehydrated which he is if he is coughing, then I would do 30 a day. As a mom of 6 that is what we mostly drink and when we don't get enough they cough or runny nose. Water is so important. Blessings.

You might want to take him to the doctor to rule out the bad stuff: walking pneumonia, asthma, flu or whatever.

If it turns out to be allergies, you can do several things to help:

Get a HEPA air cleaner for his room or the whole house. Give him Benedryl (or generic). This will reduce the number of airborne allergens that get into his system, esp at night.

Rinse his sinuses with a Neti pot (can be purchased at Walgreen's or other places) at night to wash the allergens out of his system. Do this especially at night so his body will not spend the entire night reacting to allergens. Also, if he has been outside then bathe him or at least wipe off his hair and exposed body parts to rid him of airborne allergens.

Use homeopathic remedies to control/reduce symptoms.

If he develops extreme allergies, the recommendation is to remove carpet and fabric window treatments to reduce the allergens!

good luck!

1 / 3