My Eye Won't Quit Tearing Up!

Anyone ever heard of this or had it? I dont' think it's allergies because it doesn't itch and it's not red or irritated. It's just that my eye keeps producing tears for no apparent reason. It started about 3 days ago, I'll just be sitting there on the couch and a tear will run down my face! It doesn't hurt or anything, but it's getting annoying. Please tell me if you've had this before or know what it is. I don't wanna waste money going to the doc for something so small.

Well thanks for the advice so far! I wonder if it might be a clogged duct, can you get that from having a bad sinus cold? I was REALLY sick a couple weeks ago and my whole head was totally clogged up, sinuses stuffed (couldn't smell anything, ears kept popping, and of course stuffy nose). I wonder if that might have something to do with it. I haven't changed my makeup or skincare routine, at least not yet! I'm getting ready to try a new acne system but haven't started it yet. I figure if it's allergies I'd be having this problem in both eyes, not just one.

The same thing happened to me a week ago and I thought the same thing about the allergies and it lasted for about 5 days. I couldn't wear make-up or anything and this past Monday I woke up with a sore throat, itchy (not watery) eyes and serious cough. I stayed at home for 2 days i feel better now but I still have a mild cough.

Anyway, I did not go to the doctor I just loaded up with allergy and sinus medication.

Ok I know this is going to sound strange but it sounds like to me your eye is dry. I worked as an ophthalmic assistant for 3 yrs and an optometric assistant for 5... so needless to say I have some experience with this type of stuff. Your eye produces 2 types of tears..oily ones that stick around all the time and crying tears. When your eye doesn't produce enough oily tears it over produces crying tears. I would normally tell patients that complain of this to use over the counter artificial tears...such as refresh tears. Do not use anything that says "gets the red out" because they constrict blood vessels. If the tears dont work you might need to go ahead and make an appointment with an eye doctor and have it checked out. Good luck with it.

Try getting a warm soft washcloth and massaging about every hour for about 10-15 mintues for the next week. When my son was born his little tear duct was clogged so it made is eye run and get crusty but thats what were instructed to do from the doctor and after several weeks it went away. If you experience redness or itching and burning in the eye I would go to the eye doctor and have it checked out. Could be pink eye. Try to avoid eye makeup til you get it cleared up.

I would suspect a blocked duct too. The moisture in your eye is a constant washing motion like a bunch of little streams flowing into a pool before passing through the outlet at the other end. If the outlet is blocked then the "water" had got to go somewhere.

That's not to say it's not something environmental too. Sorry, maybe it's time to go see the doctor

B.,

This is going to sound strange, but I have the same problem when I use certain types of make-up. Some mascara and eye shadows will make my eyes tear. I also have to be carefull with the types of face lotions I use. Anything that has fumes or is strongly scented can cause tearing. If you have changed anything about your skin care routine or makeup recently I would stop using it for a while. Some women also become sensitive to red dyes and mica in eye shadow. These can cause eyes to water as well. Good luck,

PS. - If the eye watering is accompanied by rapid or uncontrolled blinking you need to go to a doctor ASAP.

I have problems with the tear duct in my right eye clogging and can tell you some things I have tried. I have to go to the eye doctor periodically to have my tear duct flushed out. The procedure does not hurt at all. The doctor puts a small metal probe into the tear sac to open it a bit and then flushes a syringe (blunt tip, not a needle type) full of saline solution through the tear duct. Usually, there is an obstruction so the saline solution just shoots out through the upper tear hole (there is an upper tear drainage hole and the lower tear drainage sac) and the nurse has to then press a cotton tipped swab against the upper hole to close it off and force the solution to go out through the lower tear sac and through the duct into my nose like it's supposed to do. I can always tell when the obstruction dislodges because the saline solution runs into my nose and throat. Lately, I have had to take oral antibiotics to clear up the infection caused from my tears not draining and the medication has helped tremendously. (Antibiotic eyedrops did not help.) The doctor suggested surgery to have a new tear canal cut through my nose bypassing the area that gets clogged. I prefer not to do that yet. I just found some great at home remedies on ehow.com that I am going to try. I use baby shampoo to wash my eyelids every day--not soap like another person suggested you use--ouch! I have just started doing a massage where I press down gently from the tear sac at the inside corner of the eye to the outside of the nostril. I do this about 10 times to help dislodge the obstruction. Other suggestions are to dip a washcloth in warm salty water and lay it on the tear sac area for about 10 minutes several times daily if you have time. They also suggest peeling a cucumber and putting the shavings on the tear sac for 10 minutes several times a day. I haven't tried these last two, but I've read the suggestions before. BTW, a sinus infection can absolutely cause your tear canal to get blocked. One last thing I do to keep my sinuses clean is to use the Nasaline Irrigator every day to flush my sinuses. It is similar to a neti pot but easier to use. Hope some of these suggestions help because I know how annoying it is to have this problem.

I do think it might be your allergies, my youngest daughter does that and the doctor said that it is her allergies. Allergies dont neccessarily cause red dry itchy eyes, but they can cause them to water.

Hi B.,
It might be an eye infection. Or is it possible that you got something in your eye or scratched it with something. I don't have anymore ideas other than this, sorry. You should probably make an eye appointment with doctor. Hope you find out whats wrong, W.

1 / 3