My Dog Ate a Corncob :(

I am waiting to hear back from the vet. My Golden Retriever swallowed a whole corncob tonight. I feel so bad. They are trying to make him throw it up so it does not get a chance to move down into his intestines, where it will wreak havoc. Someone tell me he will be ok I wouldn't have even thought anything of it (he has eaten weirder things) But a friend of mine lost her dog from just this thing. :(

Thanks Everyone! Beau is home, he did throw it up so all is well. He is groggy and thirsty, but should be fine. The vet said we were lucky because it was still whole and could have caused serious problems. Damn Dog! Funny how they drive us crazy, but then something happens and we realize how much we love them. God Bless and Thank you for your concern.

My 65 lb. 7 yr old boxer ate a FEW corn cobs one evening and was fine. The poop looked like a corn cob, but he was fine. I hope your dog is fine. The friend that lost a dog to this -- was it the same size dog?

I've never been through this. But my thoughts are with you. I'm so sorry. I love my doggies & they are part of my family. I know this may be extreme, but can they do surgery?

I hate to tell you but this could be the first of many episodes like this. My brother has had quite a few goldens who have eaten beach towels and rocks - lots of surgeries. My neighbors have a black lab who eats underwear and bathing suits. Again, lots of surgeries and lots of induced vomiting. It's something about retrievers - I don't know why. You cannot leave anything on the floor or in a wastebasket (get the step-on cans with lids) or in a laundry basket. Perfect for families with kids, or pretty much anyone else, huh???

Praying for your pup.
This may be of comfort: My (completely psychotic) Siberian Husky once ate an entire pair of pantyhose and pooed them out. She also swallowed a white ankle sport sock and threw it up 2 days later.
I hope he's OK. Dogs--gotta love 'em!

If you don't have pet insurance, sign up RIGHT NOW.

Glad you did the right thing and took him to the vet. Just an FYI. I am a regestered vet. tech and I see this ALL THE TIME. More often than not its a golden and for some strange reason most of the time its a corn cob- we have already surgically removed 4 corn cobs from patients this year. Dont think that just because your pup is a lrg breed dog that he can pass it. Call your vet as soon as you go "... hey wher'd that go..." It is a medical emergency and it could be taken care of without surgery, you just have to address the issue soon after it is ingested. LOL good luck... especially with a golden.
Kidding I do love Goldens- their just like having another child though.

Glad it all turn out well! I have know a large dog that had to have one surgically removed that a neighbor had given the dog, so the owner had no idea. Great when you can catch it early and the fix is much easier.

Yay! Glad to hear this turned out well! My dog once at 4 lobster carcasses at once and proceeded to throw them up all over my carpet....it was lovely!

1 / 3