My Daughter Won't Take a Bath Anymore

My family went away for the weekend and we had to bathe the children in the hotel tub. My daughter got scared when the water started to run and would not get in. We assumed it was just because she was not used to the big tub. When we got home she won't get in her baby tub either. What do we do so she gets in the tub? Has anyone else had this problem.

Just put her in and give her a bath. Be calm and pleasent and she will eventually get over her fear. The less of a deal you make the less of a deal she will make.

Fill the bathtub first so the water won't be running when she is getting in the tub. Also, you can try getting in the tub with her.

C., We use food colors in the tub. It works best to use 2 empty shampoo bottles and put a few drops of colors in each bottle (each bottle being a different color) and then fill the bottles up to the top with water. Once the tub is full let the child pour one bottle of color on one side and the other color on the other side and watch how they mix in the middle. Its always more fun to help those colors mix by stirring up the water too. Most of the time they get so interested in the process they forget to be afraid.
Also something else I do sometimes is put them in my laundry tub. Its bigger than the kitchen sink and you dont have to bend over so far. Plus you can do some laundry while they are getting clean! Make sure to make a big deal out of the laundry tub "priviledge". Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

This is a tough one, I have four children and never did it until the last, but try taking a bath/shower with her. It seems unsanitary for me to sit in the tub with her (which as long as I'm clean I'm sure it's fine), so I just take a shower. She plays on the floor, safely sitting in the tub usually playing with the trickle of water from the faucet and a few select bath toys, and after I finish washing myself we wash her. Many mothers take baths with their babies, and that works for them, from what I hear and that seems the best for a scared child. Also taking showers holding the baby works - just have a spotter and be safe! Good luck! Whatever works, whenever it happens, eventually she'll love the bath I bet. Oh - I just saw that you have this suggestion - thanks.

Is she scared of the sink water running? If not maybe try letting her turn the faucets on and feeling the water on her hands first; letting her splash with it and get comfortable with it. Then have her help you fill her bath.

Never had this problem, just thought this might help. Good luck.

I would really hype up some new bath toy or some kind of new bubbles to entice her in! Also they do just go though fazes and it will end, both my boys did the same thing.

C.,
Sounds like you got a lot of good advise. My daughter went through the same thing (a couple of times actually). We used bubbles (the kind you blow outside). She loves to catch them outside, so we tried it in the bath. We stood her in the tub, even though she was sceaming, and started blowing bubbles. Since a lot of them stick to the water and don't pop, it encouraged her to bend down into the water to pick them up. Eventually, she sat down. We had to use the bubbles for the rest of the week, but she got over her fear. Good luck.

One time my daughter, who loved her bath, pooped in the tub. For awhile she didn't want to go in the bath tub becuase she thought it was dirty. Eventually it took care of itself and she loves her baths again.

My son went through this when he was just over 1 year old. I think he was afraid of the size of the tub and turning the water on really freaked him out. So, we filled the dry tub with lot of "waterproof" toys and let him look at them from the sidelines for a couple days. Then, we got lucky and took him into a swimming pool where he also saw a lot of kids jumping in and having fun in the water. We were golden after that..now we have a hard time getting him out of the tub. Turning the water on still freaked him out for a while but now it doesn't bother him at all. Hope that helps.

If your sink is big enough, I'd just wash her in the sink for a while. Put a nonslip mat on the bottom, and stay right there with her. She'll grow out of it, especially after seeing her sibling having fun in the tub.

1 / 3