My Daughter's Pierced Ears

My 7 year old wanted to get her ears pierced. For christmas we took her to get htem done. For easter, she got a pair of gold earrings, little hearts that have a screw on back. This was meant to be child friendly. Well, she lost one of hte earrings for a while, and was wearing one of the starter earrings to keep the hole open. Today i went to switch the earrings, so that one hole wouldnt be bigger hten the other, and i discovered that the child friendly, scrw on earring, was pushe all the way against her ear! it looks like it is digging inot the ear itself, and the post of hte earring is stickign thorught the rubber circle thingy covering the back.I tried to get a grip on it to unscrew it and get it off of her, but i cant seem to do so. I need suggestions on how to get the earring off of my daughter, i am concerned that ehr skin is going to start growning around then over it, as it already looks like the ear is intdented where the post is. Thank you very much.

Thank you all for your responses, Luckily i was able to get hte earring off, finally. I took the cleaning solution that you get when you get your ears pierced, and soaked her ear with it. It softened the skin, (there appeared to be a scab growing aroundthe hole and earring) and gave the earring the ability to move. I guess it "greased"the ear, so to speak. I was then able to dig my nails into the rubber surrond on the back part, and twist the earring off. her hole is fine, and her ear doesnt bother her at all.

I will not be gettign the screw on earring with rubber aroudn the backing again...

Hi -If you cant get the screw back off with tweezers or pliers then take her to the Dr - (or a nearby firehouse w/ paramedic trucks)- they will have a ring cutter and can cut the post. Good luck!

1) Consider the possibility of allergy to metal (gold earrings always have some cheap nickle in them) 2) Don't underestimate the value of a professional piercing studio. Not the people at the mall who use guns, but the real people who use needles and sterile equipment. They sell quality non-allergenic metal earrings. 3) It takes months for piercings to heal properly - clean with saline solution or antibacterial soap (and wash wash wash the soap out) at least once a day. Keep cleaning for several weeks after you think the piercing has healed. Don't use hydrogen peroxide or alcohol as this irritates the piercing and can delay healing. 4) Never forget how dirty ears are - being touched all the time, being against phones, getting irritated with hair brushes and shampoo, etc. (I've had many piercings in my pre-mom years, can you tell?)

I had this happen to my 8 year old when she was about 4-5. I just grinned a beared it and made her sit there. I ended up just pulling it straight out, separating the back from the front. Do the best that you can to get it out. Those earings are the worst. ANYONE WITH THEM, BEWARE!!!. I think ours were hearts, and I would fix them to make them be upright, being a creature of habbit, it was always the same direction. I let hers heal for about 2 weeks, and tried the starter ones, and the hole was still good. If the hole closes, you can just let it go, or get it redone. The best earings for kids are the ones that go like a loop(much smaller), and spring into place. The backs don't fall off, they don't get snagged, and you don't loose them. In addition, this will never happen.
I hope it goes well, and I am so sorry for your little girl.

My 9 year old had her ears pierced and everything was fine until one day the back was missing and she couldn't get the earning off. It was stuck in her ear. Come to find out the back of the earring was actually IN her ear. I finally was able to pull the earring off but had to go to the doctor and he pulled the back out with needle nose pliers. Needless to say my daughter says she will never get her ears pierced again.

You need to take her to the doctor, as it needs to be numbed and taken off properly then treated.

Hi E., My daughter was also 7 when she got her ears pierced. I'm not sure how to help you, but I know that the earring should not stay there. If it does not hurt, ask her if she can feel the back enough to get it out. You may want to put some ice on it to shrink the swollen ear tissue and then work on it. Good Luck! My daughter is now 39. Let us know how it works out. Grandma Mary

I'm not familiar with the screw backs, but if the back looks like regular earring backs with the 2 holes, I've put a bobby or hair pin through it to get a grip on it. That's the only thing that helped me. If you can't get it off, my suggestion would be the doctor. Good luck.

This happened to my sister, my mom took her to the doctor's to get it off because she couldnt do it without hurting her. Doctor said it was only because the earring was put on too tight in the first place and she has seen it happen many times. So kid friendly or not, just teach her when to stop pushing the earring on or you put them on for her.

E., once my daughter got one of those tiny starter earring backs stuck INSIDE the piering. I took her to the emergency room to be removed, there was no way I could have safely taken it out.

1 / 3