My Daughter's Menstrual Cycle

My daughter was 11 last summer when she had her first period. She has not had one since. The doctor said it's normal but I wanted to know if anyone else has had this experience. Should we go back to the doctor? Or just wait it out? Thank you for your advice.

Thank you for all of your responses. I have irregular periods and most of the women in my family have problems too. After hearing what everyone else has gone through I think that is the case with my daughter. It is comforting to hear that it is common. Thanks again! :)

My daughter started when she was 9 and did not get normal until she was 12 or 13. She would sometimes go months and almost a year. If she is not feeling any discomfort or anything, it should be fine. If you happen to be at the dr's, ask, but otherwise, my doctor also said it is nothing to be worried about.

C.,

It's not unusual, if your daughter is active she may have a period and go long periods between the next. She may do as another mother said and have years before her cycle really starts. I wouldn't worry.

Best of luck,

Wait it out. My daughter had the same problem. It took almost two years to get regular. I thought maybe it was because she always did sports. I did not worry due to the doctor said it was normal.

I have a 14 and a 1/2 year old daughter and she got her period a year ago and it came after two days of very painful cramps. Since then she has not another one. I took her to see her female pediatrician and she said that this is quite common. My daughter is very athletic and her body fat/muscle ratio is rather low (fat). The doctor said that her period would return once she had more fat. I hope this helps.

Dear C.,
I didn't start my period until I was 15 and was never regular. But my little sister and other girls I knew who started younger and did have regular periods didn't start out regular at first. I think it's pretty normal not to have another period for a while after the first one and sometimes maybe just a little spotting here and there until the hormones really kick in and get regulated. She's 12 1/2 now, I'd wait at least another six months and see what happens in the meantime.

Best wishes!

I agree with the other responses. My own experience was that I had my first period at the age of 9, but it took at least another 8-10 months before I saw anything else again. I remember being sent off to summer camp with a big box of pads that I never ended up using! Anyway, I think it's normal for there to be a big lag between the first period and regular periods, especially when a girl is on the young side.

Hello C., In my opinion, you should give it a bit more time. I don't think you should ignore it all together but it is very common to start and stop at that age. I would see if by 13 or 13.5 and then if she doesn't start take her to the doctor. Hope that helps.. I had this when I was 12-13. It took me a good year to fully start.

I was 12 with my first one, and then nothing until I was 15, and after that my cycles were very irregular. Are there other women in your family with irregular cycles? Just my opinion, but I wouldn't worry about it -- my own experience and those of my friends suggest that it's really common for a "trial run" in advance of the real thing. Good luck!

1 / 3