My Daughter's Feet Turn In

my daughter is almost 19months old and when she walks or stands her feet frequently turn in. her pediatrician is referring us to an pediatric orthopedist, though he doesn't think any treatment will be necessary, he just wants to be careful. i was just wondering if anyone's children have had this problem.

thanks for all of the advice and yoru personal stories. my daughter has an appointment with the orthopaedist on the 19th, so i will let you all know what the doctor decides to do.

My older 2 children both started to toe-in when they were younger. Come to find out, they were "W" sitting (both legs out to their sides, facing towards the back) and once I had them stop sitting that way, the problem corrected itself. Here is a link with the advice from a dr about "W" sitting http://www.doctorndtv.com/faq/detailfaq.asp?id=7233

My son also had this at beginning of walking. Some important things to help as their bones are grwing at this time is get a good pair of tennis shoes-hi tops are best for support on the ankles. When walking with baby try to have the shoes on.

In our Family Practice office, we see parents who bring in their children with the same concern. This is actually more common than you think. It usually corrects itself over a short amount of time. But it certainly can't hurt to have a specialist take a look.

Hi, I am L. and I had the same problem. I actually was called pigeon toe girl my entire life. They made fun of me my entire life. i went to every kind of doctor and they wanted to break my legs from the hips on down to my feet in order to reset the issue. my mother decided not to put me through that kind of pain and to take 9 months away from a child would have been a lot to heal. Instead they had me wear corrective shoes (which were so ugly then, now they are much nicer) and i wore a brace across both feet at night. Neither did anything to correct the problem. I have photos of myself as a child that my feet actually turn in so badly my toes face each other my right foot faces all the way to the west and my left to the east. I learned to pay attention to it and make my feet turn outward but now that i am 38 i am having to have surgery on my heels because of this problem and how I walked. My ligaments are damaged very badly and the pain in my heels is awful. I don't know what your childs doctors have said to you about this, my childrens ped told me that in small 3rd world countries where they wear no shoes the children have almost no troubles with there feet, here in the U.S.A. where we have every kind of shoe in every size the feet trouble increases every year. He told me to leave my kids without shoes when ever possible which I have and they have no trouble. I do have to say that as i child I had no pain from this except for the emotional stuff from being made fun of that is. i hope this helps because this is all i really know.

My son had the same problem. We were referred to a pediatric orthopedist and they told us that most kids grow out of it by age 5 and that they don't usually do anything for it (my husband and I both had this problem as children and had to wear braces and/or shoes with a bar while sleeping). My son turned 5 in July and his feet still turn in a bit, but he doesn't have any problems with walking or running. I only hope that it won't cause him to be teased when he gets older. Good luck!

My daughter's feet dont turn in but her left leg curves in. she is 4 now. and the doctor doesnt think anything is wrong becuase she walks fine. They refered us to a pedicatric orthopedist if we wanted to go but i havent had a chance to scedule it yet becuase we have had other appointments that were more important. Sometimes it takes longer for the legs and feet to turn straight sometimes it doesnt become fully straight. As long as she isnt having a problem walking, like tripping or anything they probably wont do any kind of treatment.

My Neice was diagnosed at around your child's age, with a condition, not clubbed feet, but a muscular problem in her hips. She has inward range of movement, but not outward. Her feet can be turned toward center, almost completely around, but her feet can't go very far outward. The pediatric orthopedist told my sister in law that there is no real way to treat it(except painfully) because muscles change constantly. She keeps her in lightweight shoes, so her feet aren't weighted, and they stretch her out daily, but inevitably, right at growth time, the inward turn is VERY pronounced, and she falls constantly. I'm not trying to discourage you, but her regular pediatrician said he wasn't hopeful of help before the referral to the specialist either. Just remember to be patient while getting your answers, and write down any and ALL questions you may have. The doctors are there to help. Good Luck!

My son's feet turned in too. It corrected itself before he hit 2 and a half. I was careful to make sure he either had good shoes on (Stride Rite) that fit well or was barefoot. My ped. said he usually doesn't refer kids until they are 3 unless it is a really serious amount of in toeing.

Both of my feet pointed perfectly to the right when I was a toddler and stood up, so I have been the foot braces at night route myself. They treat things a lot less agressively now because kids do tend to outgrow a good deal of the problems as their bodies grow.

H.

My 22 month old daughter's one foot does the same thing. We also asked the pediatrician and we were told the same thing--it will turn out on its own. Their bodies are still growing (rapidly) and I am sure it is a very common problem. Let me know what the orthapedist recommends...if anything at all.

1 / 3