My Daughter Thinks EVERYTHING Goes in Her Mouth.

I was wondering if anyone on here has dealt with the same issue that I am dealing with right now. My daughter is 2 years old and she is a very good little girl. But she seems to put EVERYTHING in her mouth. I know it is normal for babies to do chew on things while they are exploring their world, but she puts fuzz, plastic, crayons, paper, etc. in her mouth and then just sits and chews on it. I am so tired of her spitting wet pieces of fuzz in my hand. It is gross and I am starting to worry that she has that disease that causes people to eat inedible things. I may be overreacting, if so, please tell me this is normal because I am not convinced that it is at the moment. Thanks to everyone who keeps me sane.

lol She is a normal 2 year old. That's why we have to keep everything up when we have a little one.

My 4 year old used to do the same thing. I forgot all about this issue! He used to pick up dryer lint, pull the fuzz off of stuffed animals, and eat cat food. Thankfully, like the others have said, it was just a stage. I think it lasted less than a year.

N.

Okay that "disease" you are referring to is called "pica". not only children but there are moms that during pregnancy go through this "phase". Though I must clarify that Pica is not a phase and it's a bit early to claim that your daughter suffers from it. This sounds normal since they are still learning their "sensory" methods. Do as you would do-no to things that don't go in to their mouths and cheer when the food goes in. Eventually she will learn. If what you are going through continues until at least 5/6 years of age, then I would definately consult a physican on this matter. There are places that this can be dealt with but only the extreme are dealt with. You have a bit of time. In the mean time enjoy mothering as we all do.

Mom of 4.

It is normal. Everytime she does it, you need to take whatever it is out of you mouth and tell her not to put things in her mouth. After awhile, she will stop doing it.

I think it is normal to a certain extent for children to put things in there mouth and chew on it. tell her it is yucky and she can get sick. may be when she puts a crayon in her mouth take it out of her mouth and give her a snack instead,like a carrot stick to chew on. if she has a favorite healthy snack start switching it out for the nasty things she puts in her mouth.she could also be getting teeth and need things to chew on also. try hylands teething tablets,they are homeopathic. she will be fine and you will be also. enjoy your little girl.

My daughter has PICA and they didn't diagnose it until after she was 3 because they told me most kids under 3 put anything and everything in their mouths. Don't worry about it until she's a little older. My daughter eats anything that smells good - hand soap, candles, potpourri, scented markers, perfume, etc.

Hi A.! Take a breath and laugh a minute!! You have what we used to call a "lint picker" for a daughter. No, it is not unusual and yes, she will out grow it. It's more work for you making sure that there is not much for her to find or that you are watching her with the crayons...but you'll both get through this stage!!

I am sorry to say that I have no advice but the same issue! I thought I was alone! All my other children didnt do this so imagine my surprise when our 5th decided that EVERYTHING goes in her mouth. I will be very interested in others who respond and I wish you luck.

My daughter is 28 months and eats paper and if I am not watching her carefully she rips her books and then eats the pieces she ripped and oh yesterday she took a used battery out of the garbage and put that in her mouth and then she
runs from me when I tell her to give it to me! yeah............its normal.....

My daughter does the same thing! And she just turned 2 in March. We can go for a walk and she wants to pick up rocks and put them in her mouth. Anytime we go out to eat and they have crayons that you can draw with she wants to put them in her mouth. So, don't think that you are alone...there seem to be a lot of moms who have delt or are dealing with the same thing :)

1 / 3