My Daughter Says Her Legs Hurt, What Can I Do?

I have taken my daughter who is 5 years old, many times to the doctor because she keeps on telling me her legs hurt. She sometimes wakes up at night crying that she is in pain. Her pediatrician keeps on telling me they are growing pains, but her lab work keeps on coming back abnormal. I am very worried about what is going on and it mortifies me that something grave is happening to my child and the doctors are not very aggresive with finding it.

her abnormal results are the inflammation markers in the blood work, such as sedimentation rate, antinuclear antibodies and white blood cells. It has been a pattern for the past 1- 2 yrs. everything else comes out allright. I have tried a second opinion she has seen 2 local pediatricians and both at first said the same growing pains. then one of them told me not to worry and said he would probably send her to a rheumatologist but her rheumatoid factor came out negative.

My son is 9 and has been complaining of leg pain for quite some years now. I used to get up in the middle of the night with him and massage his legs. I've tried Tylenol and everything else I can think of. I even questioned if it might be Restless Leg Syndrome, but the doctor was skeptical because of his age. I assume it's growing pains at this point. I'm wondering what you mean when you say her lab results are abnormal? I would think a pediatrician would look into abnormal results of any kind. I understand though, that it's quite common especially in very active children.

D.,

Call Keverne Collison who owns Balanced Vitality. I have worked with several physicians and health care practitioners. I am a physical therapist and recommend you call her ASAP. She will help.

Her work number is ###-###-####

www.momeezpt.com

Soemthing similar happened to me as a young child. I was put into the hospital @ Loma Linda University in California. Doctors were flownn in from all over the world and nothign coudl be foudn wrong. The only thing they saw was in x-rays, there would be a cloudy dot on both of my knees. as I continued to grow up I have a lot of knee pain. As an adult I have pain in cold weather. They never did fidn what was wrong. The symptoms to me now seem like Arthritis. Best of luck!

I would get a third opinion and I would push to have some more testing done (MRI, pet scan).

I am a chilhood cancer survivor and I saw many cases in which well intentioned drs did not test enough because it was something they hadn't seen before. In my case, it took my mom pushing for more tests and then they found it right away.

I hope and pray that it is just growing pains, but I would suggest going with your instincts and pushing for more testing.

Hi D...... It's not uncommon for children this age to have growing pains however, seeing that those particular labs are abnormal makes me concerned that she has juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Are her joints swollen, red and hot? Has she been running fevers? Any unexplained rashes? She should have a workup for rheumatoid arthritis. There are forms of JRA with a negative RF. Rheumatoid factor is NOT the definitive marker for JRA. I don't know where you live but there are good peds rheumys at Childrens in LA, Childrens in Orange and San Diego and Miller Childrens in Long Beach. I am a nurse practitioner with a specialty in pediatric rheumatology and if you have any questions you can contact me at ____@____.com luck with your daughter.

Hi D.,

I understand your concerns. Pain is her body's way of saying do something. It could be just going pains, but I'd get a second opinion. Have a rheumatologist check for tender point relating to Fibromyalgia. She also may have Restless Leg Syndrome that can be mild to severe. I would persue having xrays and if you can afford it, a MRI to rule out anything lethal.
Make sure you daughter is taking a good vitamin & mineral complex, plus make sure she is getting enough calcium and magnesium too.

God Bless & Good Luck ~ F.

Take notes about dates and times that this happens. Also take notes about her daily activity and what she eats. I would seek a second opinion and push the topic if your instincts say to! We are our child's advocate when it comes to healthcare. Don't be afraid to voice your concerns over and over!

I heard about this from a friend who's son had the same complaints. His doctor said that there is a virus children get that can cause leg pain. I am sorry I don't know the name of the virus, but your doctor should. If you continue to get blown off by your doctor, find a new one who will listen to you and your daughter. Good luck - hope she feels better soon.

Keep pushing and and trust your instincts. Doctors do not know everything (how can they- they are human after all) and we have to fight for ourselves. Get them to keep testing and send her to a specialist?

That being said, I remember having painful growing pains as a kid. I used to get charlie horses in the middle of the night too which are extremely painful. Adding more potassium and calcium to my diet helped with those. I think dreyers or breyers(ice cream) is high in potassium and will have some calcium. :) Also bananas of course.

make sure shes hydrated. if shes not drinking anough it can cause her muscles to tense up and ache. bananas work well to because of the amount of potassium they have. try giving her tylenol or motrin when her pain starts. i would push for further tests if her dr cant explain why her labs are comming back abnormal. good luck!

1 / 3