My Daughter Keeps on Throwing Up

This past tuesday evening, my 6 year old daughter woke up at 3 am and threw up. she continued to throw up every 10 minutes for an hour and two more times after that. she literally got rid of everything in her stomach because she was dry heaving and nothing was coming out. the next day i kept her home from school and made her drink lots of gatorade. she seemed completely fine. she had no temp, her stomach didn't hurt and she was playing with her sister as usual. i figured she could go back to school the next day. so that night at 1am, she woke up and had thrown up in her bed and on the floor. she sat by the toilet while i cleaned it up. she didn't throw up again but i kept her home from school again and brought her to the doctor. the doctor checked her and did a strep throat culture (she just had strep 2 weeks ago) and it was negative. my daughter has not had a temp or any other symptoms of anything. so the doctor said it must have been a stomach flu bug. well last night (sat) she woke up and threw up again. she has been complaining of her stomach hurting (mine usually feels sick if i'm going to barf) i have no idea what's going on and i will be calling the doctor again on monday, but i was just wondering if any of you moms have any idea what could be going on. thanks so much!

I don't want to scare you but that's what happened to me when my appendix perforated. I was sick then fine, then sick again. Just ask her if it's her tummy (stomach) or lower. See if she can pinpoint it. Pain should be on the right but as it goes it spreads to all over due to inflammation. Like I said I don't want to scare you but don't rule it out. Hope that's not it!

My son and I were just sick with these symptoms -no fever, but throwing up again and again until there's nothing left [and I had diarrhea to follow even though my son didn't]. I also had pain/cramping that was obviously in my stomach/instestines] that just went away a day ago even though we were sick last week and have been getting better. I called a nurseline a couple of times while it was going on, and apparently lots of people are coming down with this stomach "bug".
Still, there's always a chance it is something specific going on with her- I think I would just keep calling the doctor and let them know if anything changes or she does not start getting better.

As a grandmom, I would suggest you keep a diary of everything your child eats . It is important to understand that when the human body gets too acidic, it inhibits the immune system from fighting off problems and healing illness.
Most importantly, start their day with fresh fruit, not citrus because of its acidity, rather fresh fruits like banana, or strawberries or blueberries. If they prefer a smoothie made of only .blended fruit, that's fine Do not use canned fruit. A normal size portion. Stay off dairy for the time being. It can introduce mucus t the digestive track and trigger acid in the stomach.
Then after they eat the fruit, wit at least 30 minutes before trying a small serving of toast with just a little bit of honey OR a bit of butter on it. (no jam)
Then a bit of vegetable soup later in the day. If that stays down okay, offer a bit of mashed potato, with some mashed carrot and a bit of butter. Keep her diet simple during this day and note if there is any discomfort or vomiting. If she wants more fresh fruit, make sure it has been at least three hours after she last ate.

My daughter had something like that a year or two ago... she was going over 24 hours between vomiting episodes. Our doctor said whatever stomach virus she had was still in her system and to lay off of foods/drinks that my irritate it. Stick with bland foods (dry toast, white rice, bananas, etc.) and stay away from dairy and acidic foods (OJ, etc.). He also said these stomach bugs can take a week or so to run their course.

My daughter did that when she was about three or four. She actually spent 7 days in the hospital with no diagnoses. Later they found out that it was like an acid reflux. I had to put her on Zantac and prop the head of her bed up higher. Talk to your doctor, because this is the time my child was always throwing up (at night and fine during the day) I was told that this happens more at night because they are laying down which puts their head and stomach in line and make it easier for everything to come up. Hope she feels better and hope this helps.

Sounds like a stomach bug. I was sick two weeks ago with one, and then this weekend it came back for one morning.

Just in case though, I'd like to point out that allergies to food can lead to vomiting. My older son is allergic to peanuts and his only symptom is that he throws up an hour after eating even a tiny amount of peanut, and continues to vomit for hours. Only if your daughter happens to have eaten the same thing before going to bed those three days, then I would think about this possibility.

I totally understand what you're going through. My 2 1/2 year old son just recently went through the same thing. Although his was accompanied by a cold. But he would be fine during the day and then when he was settling down at night he would throw up everything he had for supper. And a couple times he would throw up after being asleep for a couple hours. But this went on for a week or so. I did notice that drinking milk definitely compounded the problem. He's fine now. I'm not sure what the cause was but I wanted to let you know that you aren't alone. And don't hesitate to take her to the doc as many times as you need to feel comfortable. You both are in my prayers that it will stop soon! Good luck..

My 3 year old son had something similar a couple of weeks ago. It lasted about 3 days. He would go 10-12 hours in between "episodes". It was such a hard time because I kept thinking he was all done and then it would happen again. Unfortuately, I got it, too. I am guessing it will pass soon. Good luck!

1 / 3