My Daughter Keeps Humping Her Stuffed Animals, Help!

My 20 month old repeatedly "humps" her stuffed animals. She has been doing this for quite some time now (maybe about 6 months or so) and we have managed to distract her because I know you are not supposed to make a big deal out of it or yell at her. However, now, all of a sudden when I try to distract her, she refuses. Then I try to take the stuffed animal away and she cries. I try to distract her and hide the stuffed animal and she gets really upset. I dont know what to do! Do I just let her go on and ignore it? I dont want to make a big deal out of it. Help!!!

Hi Ajay,
My nephew humped too at approximately the same age. My sister was so embarrassed. It isn't sexual, so there is nothing to be embarrassed about. I would distract her, but not make a big deal out of it.

I think children do that for comfort, she iwill out grow it do not make a big deal. To us adults it is sexual but to your wonderful 20 month old it is comfort. She will stop. My 20 month old takes of her pajamas off every night and stands around naked and she thinks its hilarious. We fixed her we started putting on the snap on onzes. You will look back at this when your daughter is a wonderful teenager and laugh.

I must admit, I read some of the responses and I was horrified. My kids never did this (as far as I know)so it was a shock to see that there are kids who do.

My first thought was "Where would they learn to do something like that at such a young age"?

I don't know, maybe I am over reacting... but it just makes me wonder how such a young child would know what sexual feelings are. (I was abused as a kid so that could be why I feel this way too).

I personally would ask the pediatrician about it, and ask your daughter if someone has ever touched her inappropriately.

i know they say this is quite normal but sometimes embarrassing i would try a reward system or trade her something else for stoping

R.

I don't have any suggestions, but just started reading this b/c our daughter is 4 months old...our first! So I thought I'd get a heads up... I know this can be frustrating, so please don't be offended. Some of these stories are hilarious!! We thank everyone for feedback for us too... We'll be ready in case ours does that one day! Good luck everyone!

Sorry, after I stopped laughing hysterically I just can't help but wonder where in the heck kids get these instincts from? Humping?

Mine used to lay on her hands and grind. She did it for years. It set me off but it really pushed my husband over the edge. ha ha ha... We would just look at each other horrorified. What the hell do you do?

We just ignored it and either she got older and figured she better be more discreet or it just passed. i don't know (and I don't want to know).

She is now hitting 16 and I worry about her being a young lady with strong urges.......Sex isn't bad, but herpes and HIV is. The least of your worries today is being called a tramp like when I was a kid.

don't have any advice but just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

My son once took my hand while I was changing his diaper and started to rub my hand on his little %&* and since he was at the age where I could speak to him I pulled my hand away and said "if you want to do that do it with your own hand not mine". I have to admit, I didn't put a whole lot of thought into what I did, it was an immediate reaction. But it worked. I also had to stop him from watching the Little Rascles. He told my Mom (of all people) that when the lady's dress got caught by the hook and it ripped her dress off his %&* got hard.

I almost peed my pants when my Mom told me that story white as a ghost.

Well, think of it this way........we have some pretty good blackmale stories up our sleeves ha ha ha! If they ever get out of line we can spill the beans and threaten to tell friends. They will be eating out of our hands. :)

Feel better, you are not alone!

My niece did the same thing when she was a baby and her grandmother advised her parents to potty train her. The thought is that the bulky diapers put pressure on the nerves in the genitals, thus stimulating them and causing the natural reaction to want to rub the stimulated area. As soon as she was potty trained, the humping stopped.

I read your question and at first was shocked. Then I read the responses and was more shocked. I have to say I don't know what to think about this. My first reaction would to be to put a stop to this imediately. What reason would a 20 month old have to "pleasure" herself. If there is a need for comfort it should lie in figuring out what other areas in her needs she should have fulfilled not a stimulation of the genitals. Wouldn't this in some ways transfer to adulthood where if she isn't getting "pleasure" then her needs are not met. It may not be sexual now but I don't see how this wouldn't turn into a sexual thing later on.
I know all children experiment and go through self pleasuring but it's something you expect in a 11 year old not a baby. If it happens this young I don't see the advantages in allowing it. I don't agree with punishing or making a big deal out of it but I don't agree with allowing it to go on so young.

1 / 3