My Daughter Is Almost 4 and Not Fully Talking Yet.

My daughter is one month shy of 4 years old, and part of me is worried about her speech, other part of me says not to worry, she has been saying some words, but not all the time. She is the middle child, with my oldest (almost 6) she "talks" for her, and when she was a baby/toddler I would also not necessarily require her to talk which was my fault, I would automatically know what she wanted and say yes or no. A couple of days ago she said a full sentence out of the blue, which shocked me, but most of the time, it's not like that. She has a stubborn streak in her as well, She says "good girl" alot, which I say to her from time to time, or when she goes potty on the potty. We don't have insurance at all either. But she is smart, if she wants something she will find a way to get it! So...SHOULD I worry?

My son was a late talker--as was I--I didn't say a word until I was 3 (I too had an older sibling that spoke for me)--my son didn't say much until then either--but at 4 if he was still not saying much (he's 3 1/2 and doesn't stop talking), I too would be worried and would probably at least get him evaluated.
As mentioned by another mom--you can get a free language evaluation and one of two things will happen--you'll either find out she is fine which will give you a piece of mind to stop worrying or they will find something early enough that you can address! Both seem like a win-win--piece of mind or early intervention...

Does your almost 4 year old go to school??? If she does I would ask her teacher what she thinks. If not I would call the school district (Child Find) and have her evaluated. If they feel she needs speech she will be able to go to public school for it and it will be free to you. Getting her evaluated is probably a good idea just to make sure there are no problems.
Hope that helps

Some children don't like to talk. I have met a few children who's parents stated their child didn't talk until 4 or 5. However, there were no other delays present in development. Regardless, you need to get a speech-language evaluation completed. The public school system has a free early intervention program (Florida Diagnostic& Learning Resource System or FDLRS) for 3 and 4 year old children who may exhibit a delay in speech,language and motor skills. Contact your public schools district Exceptional Student Education (ESE) office or FDLRS for information on how to get your daughter tested. It is better to do it now than to wait until she is older.

Best wishes.

I wouldn't worry, but I would be concerned. First, sit down with her and ask her to repeat the sounds of the alphabet. Write down which sounds she cannot pronounce or say clearly. Make a list of words she can say. Next, I would begin right now encouraging her to speak. When you know she wants juice for example, say, "YOu want juice?" Then get to her level and say, "Mommy wants you to say, I want juice." See if she can say that. IF you know she can say it but is refusing because of that stubborn streak, then tell her she must say she wants juice and once she says it, you will be happy to give it to her. You need to begin encouraging her to speak when she wants something. I know this will be a challenge for you . I've experienced this with my daughter. She knew that I understood her so I would automatically give her what she wanted even if she said "juice" instead of "I want juice." Pretend you DO NOT understand her and have her believe that in order to be understood, she must tell you and help her by saying a sentence and having her repeat it. Say things like, "You have to go potty?" You need to tell mommy, "I have to go potty." Can you repeat that for me so I understand that is what you want?" Don't allow her to use gestures like nodding of her head or pointing to get what she wants.

Also, do you have an Easter Seals in your area? They do offer speech therapy and it might benefit you to have her speech evaluated. What does the pediatrician say? There may be county sponsored organizations to help with the cost. I would begin with making a list that way you have something to work with and you can show your ped what she can say and not say. Once she is in school, your school should be able to provide speech therapy if she needs it.

You daughter should be saying more at that age. My son also has a speech disorder he was diagnosed last year for which he is receiving therapy. I suggest that you try your local school system. They have a program for as early as 3 years old where they can evaluate her and give her therapy . The program is FDLRS they have them both in Dade & Broward Counties. My prayers are with you and stay positive , don't blame yourself .

Talk to your child's doctor, they have free programs in Fl. for children with any kind of delays. I just had my son evaluated and he will get free speech theropy in about a week. They also come to your home which is nice if you don't want to have to take them out of their own environment for theropy.

All the best to you!

Please have her evaluated by a speech-language pathologist (SLP). Even though your child may not attend preschool at a public school, any child age 3 and above can be evaluated through the public school system (for free). You can also see a private SLP through a clinic or hospital, but there will be a fee. Please take a look at the American Speech-Language Hearing (ASHA) website for information about normal language development. There is a section for parents at www.asha.org. Good luck!

C. - All children develop at a different pace and it is normal for them to develop differently but if she is almost 4 years old she should probably be talking a little more. Try to get her pediatrician to send you to a specialist because the sooner you start to work with her the better it will be. Some children just need a little push and some extra activities very specific to their needs. I know you mentioned not having health insurance, you should probably try to apply for florida Healthy Kids. You will have to pay $15.00 a month for all three children. Go on line and complete the application on line many famiies are not taking advantage of this health insurance.

1 / 3