My Daughter Has ONE Watery Eye

I just noticed that my daughter's right eye is watery. Clear tears are constantly flowing from one eye. She is not in pain. She is coming up with a cold. Has runny nose. Any suggestions, comments as to what could be causing this? Should I contact the doctor asap?

It sounds like either part of the cold, a sensitivity to something (lotion, new cream, shampoo?) or a clogged tear-duct. I also am familiar with the clogged tear duct situation.

Here is a good Pediatric Ophthalmologist who we saw:
Dr. Anne Simon
3565 Torrance Boulevard
Torrance, CA 90503
###-###-####

If she has a runny nose and then was rubbing her eye, it may be the on-set of pink eye, otherwise known as conjunctivitis. But since you mentioned the tears are clear it my just be part of the cold. She could've got a little something in there to irritate it, like an irritating lint, or it could be allergies. Just monitor her, look for redness swelling, visual probs. If it doesn't clear w/in 24hrs, I'd have it checked out. You don't want to mess around w/the eyes! :-) We've had all of the above, so it could be anything. Good luck!

My niece had the same thing and it turned out to be a blocked tear duct. If it continues beyond the cold, please get it checked out by a doctor. My niece ended up needing minor surgery to correct it. Good luck.

Such great advice! I'm so excited to see someone recommend a pediatric ophthalmologist! There are also pediatric optometrists who may be able to get you in faster than the ophthalmologist. Optometrists are also able to treat eye infections and diseases. I can say so, because I am one!

I have not evaluated your daughter, so I can't tell you exactly what's wrong. But, it does indeed sound like either a temporarily blocked tear "duct" or the beginning of a little conjunctivitis, especially if she's coming down with a cold. Most colds and conjunctivitis' are caused by a virus, so taking antibiotics (either pills or eyedrops) won't do anything and everything will get better on its own.

Make sure to keep everyone's hands clean. If her eye gets red or painful or swollen around or if her tears get goopy (and that's a very scientific/medical term, isn't it?), green/yellow/brown, sticky, mucousy, etc. or if she develops a fever then you'll definitely want to take her to a pediatric ophthalmologist or optometrist. If you do feel something's amiss, then go ahead and take her in anyway.

Since I'm an optometrist, I know more of those and know there are optometrists who "do" pediatrics close by you in the Porter Ranch area.

you want to watch out for color in the discharge. and let your pediatrician know about it. it could be a sign of infection. otherwise. the duct is probably just clogged.

1 / 3