My Daughter Has an Umbilical Hernia

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there were any moms out there who had a child who has/had an umbilical hernia..? My 7 week old daughter has one that is about the size of your thumb nail, but I have read that these don't tend to cause pain. I have had well baby appointments and neither pediatrician I saw ever mentioned anything about her little belly button (and it looked like this when I went). I decided to look up some information on it and realized this might be what she has. When Abigail had her surgery on Tuesday for clubfoot, one of the nurses there spotted the hernia and told us we needed to see a surgeon and have them decide what to do about it.

Is surgery usually necessary? I'm just wondering what experiences moms out there have had with this. We were given 3 surgeons names that are in Sacramento; I may make an appointment while I'm down there tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!
~A.~

My grandson had one about the size of a quarter and it stuck out about 3/4 of an inch. It took until he was about a year old for it to go away. He did not, however, like to lay on his stomach and we think it was because of his hernia.

Hi. My son had an umbilical hernia as well.The Dr. didn't mention anything either.When I asked him he said it was no big deal but to me it looked like a big deal.My old school mom-in-law told me to put a quarter over it and tie it with a string.I didn't do that but she did every weekend when she watched him and eventually it went away.I can't remember exactly how long it took but I do remember by his first b-day it wasn't there anymore!!Kinda different but worth a try!!Good luck!

Hi A.

My son had one as well and it never seem to bother him. I believe that just after his first birthday it started to go away and now that he is 20 months old, it looks completely normal. No need to worry! It goes away itself, doesn't seem to cause any pain, just doesn't look great at first. It also can get bigger before it goes away. Hope this helps.

umbilical hernias rarely need surgery... abigail's sounds small... my little one (now 2) had an enormous hernia... now she just has an outie.. very cute... don't sweat it... common, benign...

My son had a one and it was back to normal by 4 months. I worried a lot about it too but even the doctor's said he'd outgrow it and he did. His was about that same size. I would get a second opinion. Surgery for a small baby should always be the last resort in this situation. Especially if she already had a surgury for her foot.

Congratulations on your little girl!
Welcome to Mommyhood!

My daughter also had umbilical hernia; at it's largest it stuck out about 1 1/2 inches. I asked my doctor about it and he said it was no big deal and it usually takes care of itself. She is now 19 months old and has a flat belly button. I would wait to consider surgery. Also, it was pain free, the doctor actually pushed it in to show me. It never seemed to bother my daughter at all.

Hi A.

My daughter has an umbilical hernia as well. There is an extra little bump about an inch above her belly button, correct? The doctor assured us that this was not a problem. There is no pain either. My daughter is now six and we have never had any complications due to the hernia. The doctor told us that eventually my daughter might want to have it surgically fixed for cosmetic reasons only. She will always have an outie belly button. We have had one school that asked about it, but after telling them what it was, everything was fine. I hope this helps.

My sister had the same problem with her son. Her doctor told her that the belly button should return to normal within the first three years. Her son's belly button went back to normal when he was four months old. You shouldn't worry so much-give it some time. It probably wouldn't hurt to get it checked out though.

My daughter is now 10 months old and she had one and it is now gone. It took a few months or so, but the doctor never mentioned it. My midwife mentioned it but it went away.
Hopefully your daughters will too!

1st Congratultions on your newest addition! I too am a new mom. My daughter is now 10 months old and she also has a small umbilical hernia. I've had no feedback or advice from any of her physicians and haven't felt a need to investigate further due to the fact that my husband also had one. We only became aware of his umbilical hernia after he had to have an appendectomy at age 48. It is my impression that it's merely a cosmetic concern for most. During my husbands surgery the surgeon took it upon himself to repair the hernia and the only difference is the appearance of his navel. It is actually pretty funny because he now misses his "outie bellybutton". My suggestion is that unless it's a pretty severe hernia let it alone and save the risk and cost of surgery.

I hope this helps!

1 / 3