18 answers

My Daughter Had 3 Baby Root Canals & Crown the Crowns Have Broken Off

my daughter is 2 1/2years she had decayed teeth @ 6 months old so @ 2 years the dentist said she needed to extract 1 front tooth & do root canal & crowns on her other 3 front top teeth, well the crowns have all came off what can we do? shes not liking me brush those front teeth now thers little stubs there, could she be having pain there & is there any options i dont want her to start school with no teeth please help

we had the root canals done in oct 08 & the first one fell off & i immediatly called the dentist & took her in there, when we got there we did not see the original dentist who did the operation, they looked in her mouth & said they could not recement it in her tooth was to small, @ that time we did have medi-cal for her which helps people who cant afford health & dental, i do now feel that because we had that kind of coverage we were not given the best of care being that they have all fallin off within months ):

1 mom found this helpful

What can I do next?

Featured Answers

I have two grandsons that had problems with their top teeth also. the 3 1/2 yr. old at 2 yrs. had the top teeth pulled and they put nothing in place of them. 4 1/2 yr. old at 3 had root canals done on the top 4 and the put silver caps on them. I thought it odd for one to have them pulled and the other one capped.They too had medical but one had it done at Loma Linda and the other at a childrens specialist. Maybe that was the difference. I do hope this gives you comfort that you are not the only one. Best of luck C.

More Answers

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with your daughters teeth. My son had two caps put on his teeth when he was two. They stayed on until he lost his teeth. There is a credit card called care credit with very low interest rate. You can use to fix her teeth.

My other son had a baby root canal at age 3 and other bad teeth at 4 and 5. When he was 6, I found a homeopathic called (teeth and gum spray) by king bio it is to prevent cavities. I spayed it in his mouth almost every night before he went to sleep. His next check up about 6 months later was clear no cavities. I couldn't believe it. Then the same thing happened the next year and the next. This whole time I kept giving him the teeth and gum spray. He is now twelve and still gets clear check ups. when I was using it the dentist said it is the best he had seen my teeth. I believe if you start now you will be glad you did. It is allot cheaper than dentist bills. I got mine at the Vitamin barn by the elephant bar. My daughter who is 15 had been getting cavities just like my son. She too stopped when I started spraying her teeth also. good luck.
M. R

2 moms found this helpful

As a Mom that works in the dental field, you should call back the dentist and have the teeth fixed immediately! My son also had the front teeth root canaled and crwoned at 2 1/2. The teeth lasted until he was four. (they fell out) You are probably right about not getting good care because of medi-cal, but you need to insist that they do something for her, even if they say pull the teeth, which isn't good either. But if she doesn't let you brush them, they can still get cavities. In fact, they are more susceptable to cavities because they have been worked on and the protective enamel has been removed to make the crowns fit. Please go back to the dentist or go to a reputable children's dentist and have them fixed for your baby's dental health.

1 mom found this helpful

Oh my gosh, YES, it does hurt her. Teeth, once they have been ground are SUPER sensitive and HURT. Trust me, I'm telling you this from my own experience. The poor little thing is hurting. You need to get her to a dentist ASAP, please!!! Also file a complaint againt the dentist with Medi-cal. Yes, you can do this. I've done if for my dad before. They may be able to help you see a different dentist if you still have the medi-cal. They need to know this dentist does shabby work and then claimed they couldn't fix the problem. And there are other programs
besides medi-cal you may qualify for. In cali I think it's through Healthy Children or something like that. Very inexpensive!!!

Here are some dental schools in Cali incase they can help you: Professional Schools in California: Dentistry School

Loma Linda University
School of Dentistry
Loma Linda University
Loma Linda, California 92350
(800) 422-4558 or ###-###-####


Center for the Health Sciences

Box 951668
10833 Le Conte Ave

Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668


University of the Pacific
School of Dentistry
2155 Webster St

San Francisco, CA 94115



UC San Francisco
Admissions Information
513 Parnassus Avenue, S630, Box 0430
San Francisco, CA 94143


925 West 34th Street

Los Angeles, CA 90089-0641



1 mom found this helpful

Since you have no dental insurance, is there any family/relatives/good family friends who can spot you some money? Explain the situation to them... you never know.

Now, some states have state sponsored/subsidized healthcare or dental insurance for people who qualify per income levels.
Try and research this. Sure, it will take time and paperwork to fill out.. but it is important, especially since you have a young child.
Here is a link for possible help and information:

Or, would your Dentist be willing to 'understand' the situation, and per your not having dental insurance... correct the problem for you? Sure, this is a stretch.... but this is a desperate situation, and for a young child. You never know who will be willing to be charitable.

And another thing, the caps fell off! Geez... I would think your Dentist needs to know this.. it's HER handiwork after all. Tell her this. Its a health issue, not just cosmetics.

All the best, take care,

1 mom found this helpful

I root canal on a baby tooth, I never heard of it, now what happens when the permanate tooth wants to grow, it can't becuase they have removed the root & nerve of that tooth. If they could put a crown there from the start, then they should be able to glue it back in, I would get a second opinion, call medi-cal or its call denti-cal 800-322-6384
tell them you are not happy about what this dentist did to your daughters teeth, tell them you are seeking a second opinion, and to give you other dentist offices in your area, before you allow another dentist to do this to your babys teeth make sure they are a childrens dentist. It should not matter what insurance you have, to file a dental complaint, 800-430-4263 oh yea you better hurry the state of Calif if going to discontinue dental insurance, from medi-cal we heard sometime in late Feb.

1 mom found this helpful


Call the dentist that did the work, and explain what happened. My Mom has had crowns fall off, and usually what they do it replace them. But, if they charge a fee explain your situation and see if you can get on a payment plan with them. Or if they can refer you to a dentist who does offer that kind of service.

If you need to, I think Susan is right, explain it to family and see if they can help you out with the cash.

Good Luck!

1 mom found this helpful

Dear K.,

I'm sorry I have no advice- just praying for you and your little one that you receive good care for her please lets us know how things work out for you.


Hi, there is a good HMO insurance called Smile Saver, it is only $7 a month and the dentists are good. Check it out.

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.