My Daughter Fell Out of the Tub and Hit Her Head on Ceramic Tile?

My Daughter who is 3.5 years old was taking a bath tonight. I had already washed her and she was just playing in the tub. I was gathering dirty laundry in the bathroom where she was but I had my back to her sorting the clothes. Then she put one leg over the tub and then the other and fell out and hit the back of her head. The tub is about 2.5'' from the ground. She IMMEDIATELY cried (so I thought that was a good thing) and we got her dried off and she showed us where it hurt but then 10 minutes later she said it doesn't hurt anymore, I'm ok. Her pupils are responding normally, I am just REALLY REALLY paranoid because it was ceramic. My husband says she doesn't need to be seen because she has no signs of needing to be seen. PLEASE PLEASE, MOMS, Has this ever happened to any of you Moms? Again, she seems fine, it's just really scary :(

I would Google signs of a concussion and keep an eye on her.

If she never lost consciousness, isn't vomiting or acting disorientent in any way, I don't think there's too much reason for alarm.

My child fell down the stairs and I was worried too. The peds office said as long as they were conscious the whole time and are acting ok, they're probably fine.

Why don't you call the pediatrician on call and talk with them? They will tell you what to watch for. My son fell once (so I completely understand how scary it can be!), and the pedi/nurse on call told me what to do in detail, but I do not want to give you "instructions" here as I am not a professional and I may not remember something right.

They will probably want you to keep her awake, or wake her up every certain hours to check on her. From what you tell, seems like everything is fine, but better be safe...

Split the difference. Whenever there is ANY question... I phone the 24/7 nurses line through our hospital. They run down a list with me and it's "treat at home/ make an appt tomorrow/ or bring them to the ER". Along with a handy little list of "if x turns to y" change the plan and bring to the ER or make an appt.

LOVE that 24/7 nurse advice line.

Oh my goodness, yeah my kids have done that, heck I have done that in the kitchen after mopping. Other than a lump, nothing.

Just keep an eye on her before bed. If she shows no signs of anything then relax and put her to bed.

It must be a night for this, my 3.5 year old son fell in the tub tonight too. He has a big lump on his head, but he cried right away and then later said it didn't hurt. I had my 5 yo daughter at the ER a few months ago for falling off a table onto a concrete floor head first. She was fine and they said to watch for vomiting and disorientation. Since she was fine with such a high fall, I was not as worried this time. Just watch her but she should be fine. It is hard to not worry when they get hurt though.

I'm not a nurse, but I would say that you should keep her awake for an hour just to make sure she's acting normally. Since it's close to bed time, sleepiness isn't a strong indication of a concussion... but I would tend to figure she is just fine. Our heads are surprisingly resilient... but monitoring is a good measure just in case. ((hugs)) Try not to worry.

I like all the advice you have recieved here.
You can also call your medical insurance and ask the advice nurse.
Again...err on the side of caution and keep checking your daughter every few hours for her responiveness.
Also, when things calm down you can guy two things for the bathroom: a cushy rug for the floor outside the tub and those grippy things for the floor of the tub. Be calm and use all the advice listed below!

My daughter fell last year and was knocked unconscious. Took her to the ER and said she was fine. If you are concerned, I would suggest waking her up every couple of hours. That is what they had me do througout the night. I would just wake her up, check to she is she responded then she would fall back asleep.

1 / 3