My Daughter Cant Get Rid of Her Cough

anybody have any ideas to help soothe this!

Like another post here, my first thought was Asthma, my oldest had had a cough for about 4-5 weeks, after 3 DR visits, she was sent to a specialist, she was found to have asthma and given meds, w/i 48 hrs the cough was completely gone.

I would rule out asthma or other allergies before it gets worse.

I know this will sound silly, but I have done this since my kids were very young and it has worked every time.

VICKS VAPO-RUB!
Some of us have used Vicks Vapo Rub for years for everything from chapped lips to sore toes and many body parts in between. Don't laugh! The scientists at the Canada Research Council who discovered it, aren't even sure why, but it works 100% of the time.
Here's what you do: to stop night time coughing in a child (or adult), put Vicks Vapo Rub generously on the bottom of the feet at bedtime, then cover the feet with socks. Even persistent, heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours of relief.
Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even very strong prescription cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing and comforting and they will sleep soundly. I heard the head of the Canada Research Council describe these findings on the part of their scientists when they were investigating the effectiveness and usage of prescription cough medicines in children as compared to alternative therapies like acupressure.
It has a soothing and calming effect on sick children, who went on to sleep soundly. Try it on yourself when
you have a very deep and persistent cough. It works! It feels like a warm blanket has enveloped you. It stops a deep, incredibly annoying and uncontrollable cough in just a few minutes. Sleep cough-free for hours every night you use it. You will be absolutely amazed by the effect. If you have grandchildren, pass it on.
TRY IT! IT WORKS!

Well, you didn't tell me much about it, but your daughter may have allergies and it's not easy to determine the cause. Many times, the source of the irritation can be the chemicals that we use to clean ourselves, our homes, clothes, dishes, etc. One way to eliminate these toxins from your home and create a non-toxic, earth friendly environment for the health of your family (and the health of the planet) is to change your cleaners. If you do that, it will eliminate one source of irritation and the cough may stop. However, you may also have animals that could be causing the irritation. You may need to consider an air purifier. It may also be from allergies to certain foods. If you have consulted the doctor, and he/she is out of ideas, then I would suggest you start changing to a more natural environment. An excellent source of proven earth and family friendly products is Shaklee. To discover why 30,000 people joined Shaklee in January 2008 alone, or for more product information and secure online ordering, go to www.shaklee.net/fitzwater and click on About Shaklee, or go directly to www.shaklee.net/fitzwater/getclean and make a change that may cause your daughter's cough to fade away! Mine did!!! Call or email me if you'd like to talk one on one. Best of luck!

How long has her cough persisted? Is there fever accompanied with cough or mucus/sputnum she may be coughing up from her chest? Weezing when breathing? If there are any of these symptoms schedule an appointment. Coughs shouldn't last for more than 2 weeks. If your daughter has a chest cold and is coughing up mucus (greenish/yellow), you should see your health care professional, esp if it's accompanied by a high fever you can't break with tylenol or motrin. (It could be a sign of FLU).

A great over-the-counter med that is Dr approved is Robitussin. It makes the cough productive and loosens up any phlem. You will want her to cough so the phlem is loosened from the chest, otherwise she could become at risk for bacterial pneumonia.

Steam baths, chicken broth and warm herbal tea helps. My mother used to make me Lemon Honey tea when I had a cough. She made it with hot water flavored with fresh squeezed lemon and 2 teaspoons of honey to sweeten.

Take care,

Another possible cause could be asthma. my daughter was diagnosed with it because of chronic coughing.
Regardless of the cause, I suggest you call the Pediatrician and get some advice on whether she needs to be seen by the Dr.
Good Luck.

i don't know any details other than what you wrote, but depending on the cough you may want to talk to her pediatrician about it and request a sweat test to check for cystic fibrosis.

I see that someone has already mentioned the Vick's. It worked for my 15 mo DGD.

Also, if allergies are involved, you might try putting a plastic cover on her mattress and pillow.

For the mattress I put a mattress pad over the plastic, then the sheets. That makes the plastic not noticeable. For the pillow I put on the zip-on plastic cover, them cover with a cotton zip on cover, then the regular pillowcase.

I also tumble blankets in the dryer each week just to get the dust out. I don't wash them first every week, just tumble. I do wash when needed though.

If these help, it is definitely worth it, you will notice a big difference. All of the plastic covers and cotton zip-on cover for the pillow are available at discount stores such as Wal-Mart.

HTH, TTYL

How old is your daughter? My daughter has had a cough that she just could not get rid of. we took her to the doctor more then once. We tried different cough medicines and all kinds of things. Finally my fiance who is uneasy about cough medicine went searching online and found that for children over the age of 2 that if you let them eat a table spoon of natural honey that it coats their throat and helps. We have been doing it for 3 weeks now and so far no more sleepless nights for my 4 year old. Other things we tried that helped some was putting humidifier in her room. she could also be having a allegry to something in her pillow or the laundry soap you are using. Sorry this is a lot of different ideas but start from square one and don't give up. Relief is there somewhere. Mom of daughter and 2 yr old son.

1 / 3