My Child Gets Bitten at Daycare - Any Suggestions?

My son (15 mo) gets bitten everyday, sometimes several times a day, by the other children. He is not biting back (yet) and I don't want him to learn that behavior. Any suggestions? I'd love to coat him down in something that would taste bad, but not be bad for his skin. Something like mosquito spray - but longer lasting and without chemicals, so that it's safe to ingest.

Final update - Situation resolved! Thank you all so much for your support. My son is still happily enjoying this daycare and is no longer being eaten alive.
Thank you!

Oh honey, you are preaching to the choir! I have no clue what to do. My son has always been on the receiving end of bites too. And never by the same child. I think my kid is a toy snatcher but I don't know. Let me know what YOU find out! The bug spray is a really good idea though! I'm going to try that!

By the way, if he continues getting bit, you should really complain to the teacher and then to the director. They may not be watching them closely enough

YOu can try bitter apple or phooey spray from the pet store! :-)Both are completely safe..the phooey spray tastes awful. My husband put some on his lips and gave me a kiss with it!

When my son was about 11 mo.old we had the same problem at a daycare he was in. You need to notify his teacher and demand that something be done. I'm sure the other children have had immunizations if they are in daycare but you still need to check on that and request that either your son or the other children be moved to another room. It seems innocent and like "kid" behavior but it is painful for your son and can make him fearful of other seemingly safe places like daycare. While I understand your want to make him less appetizing to the other children, it is the facilities responsibility to protect your son while he is in their care. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm ranting but I know how it feels to have your child bitten and I hope you and your daycare can find a working solution. Don't be afraid to stand up and demand that your son be safe when his away from you. Best Wishes

I use Bert's Bee's - i think it is safe.

Hey B., I am not glad your child is getting bites, but I no longer feel alone. I have two daughters and we have been through the biting stages. I use to get so upset with the teachers, because I understand the first bite- but after that I feel the teacher should know the biters and they should watch them closer. I pay for child care services and I feel that they should do their job. I can leave two children alone with no supervision if I wanted them to bite each other up. Anyway, with my first daughter I taught her to bite back and she went to daycare and bit the wrong child. I felt so bad. With my second child I just stayed on the teacher to be more attentive.

If it is more than 3 different occasions, okay i'll be lenient if it is more than 3 times a week oh my gosh take him out of that daycare! The daycare should be on top of the biting child to stop him from biting and watching your son so he isn't being bitten. That is just ridiculous. If they are not watching them while your child is being bitten when else aren't they watching him? Yucky! I suggest taking him somewhere else, ANYWHERE else~! Good luck!

Sincerely,
Tamara Muehlbauer
Home Sweet Home Child Care
located in Westbury Park!
www.geocities.com/homesweethomecc

I would talk with the director and see what their policy is on bitting. My daycare has a "three strikes you out" rule. Once a child bites three times within a week the parent has to take them out until the bitting issue is resolved. I would push the issue that they talk to the other child's parents and tell them if they don't see an improvement that something else will be done. That is totally unfair to other children to let the same children do those things to the inocent kids over and over again.

I feel sympathy for your child, but also for the parents of the biter. As a past director of a day care, we had a biter, that bit really hard, that we eventually had to remove. Better to remove the biter, than loose a lot of paying customers. Since breaking the biting is a slow process, sometimes.I know this is just a phase that some children go through and eventually outgrow. But also in some instances, children that are bitten, will begin to bite as well. I have learned in the past that when a biter is bitten back, it begins to click in that he is inflicting pain on someone. I personally like to get down to the child's level and look them in the eyes and say in a very firm tone that biting or hitting hurts and it makes a boo-boo and request them to tell the child they are sorry. This will help them to learn remorse.
Mom Again-L.

I agree with everyone else that has responded. That does not sound like a good child care center. The one my son attended had a policy in line for that and if the same child got caught doing it too many times they would ask the child to leave the center. It does sound like you need to look into other means of child care. Please do not put anything on your child to prevent another child from biting him, just move to another center or provider.

1 / 3