My Child Does Not Want to Eat

My son is 18 months old and I have the hardest time getting him to eat. He has a lot of ear infections and is getting tubes put in this Thursday. A few weeks ago he started eating well......and then he had to be started on antibiotics for his ears and I can't get him to eat but maybe some toast or a few bites of turkey dog. He is drinking all of the time and I am afraid that he is substituting drinks for food. This has been going on for about 2 weeks. I talked to the Dr last week and he said not to worry but at that time he was still taking the antibiotics. He has stopped now and is still not eating. It is starting to become very frustrating to me. I have wasted so much food and am almost at the end of my rope. He seems fine otherwise.....is very active. Should I wait until after the tubes are put in.....maybe it has to do with his ears? Has anyone else experienced this....any advice would be helpful.

I just wanted to share my experience with my daughter and ear tubes and ear infections.

She had constant ear infections and we had tubes put in at 18 months old. Then one of the tubes fell out almost immediately and the ENT doc wanted to put in another tube and take out her adenoids. I then read Spontaneous Healing by Dr. Andrew Weil and his book suggested eliminating dairy and having cranial osteopathy done.

We cut way back on the dairy and were lucky enough to find a pediatrician (we lived in Oklahoma at the time) who did cranial osteopathy. It cleared up her ear infections and she has not had another since and she hasn't had to do anymore osteopathy (which is totally painless, I would distract her with a book).

You can find practitioners on this website - http://www.cranialacademy.org/

If you can't find a cranial osteopathic practitioner, then craniosacral therapy is very similar and you can find a practitioner through this website - http://www.iahp.com/pages/search/index.php

Good luck with everything!

K.,
My son had tubes put in on July 1 this year. Before that, we went through the same thing that you are now going through. My son was on so many different antibiotics for months at a time, and his little tummy was a complete mess. Also, when they have ear infections, they can't smell very well, which suppresses the appetite. I would just wait until after the surgery- you will notice a huge change in his appetite, hearing, EVERYTHING! Until then, you might try giving him milk with Carnation instant breakfast in it. He will at least get his vitamins and nutrients this way. Or if you can try and get him to eat a little yogurt- it is excellent for his stomach. I hope everything goes well on Thursday. :)

If he's getting full from milk, then he won't be hungry to eat. Give him water to drink (juice is no good for kids, and fills them up on sugar) and small portions of healthy foods. They go through growth spurts and sometimes hardly eat at all, and other times eat as much as an adult. Also, many kids with excessive ear infections (that end up needing tubes) have a milk intolerance or allergy. Do a search online for milk and ear infections.

Good luck with everything!

Antibiotics always killed my son's appetite. He too had to get tubes when he was 3. He was on meds for about half the year prior to that. And he would never eat well. Just as his apetite would come back he'd get sick again and quit eating. MIt was very frustrating since most of the antibiotics he took said not to take on an empty stomach because they could irritate the stomach. I always let him have all the milk he wanted and a daily vitamin and didn't woory about it. As long as he's playing and acting normal, then don't worry. Once the tubes are in it will hopefully get better, if not ask your doc about it.

I could always tell when my daughter was getting an ear infection when she lost her appetite. She rarely had fever or pulled at her ears, but she would stop eating well and sleeping well. The tubes were a life changer for her. I'd wait til after you get the tubes and see what happens. Good luck.

I think what you are experiencing is normal. Children go through so many stages. Mine eats and then she doens't. She sleeps and then she doesn't. She is easy to get along with and then she isn't. I wouldn't sink alot of time and worry into it. He has a built in timer than goes off when he is hungry and he will eat when he is hungry. At that age they are too active to think about food. Just put it in front of him and if he eats, he eats, and if he doesn't, then he will let you know when he is. As far as wasting food... we all go through that. That is just something that happens and you have to know that going into it. You have to lay it out for him, what he does with it is up to him. He will be fine. Keep healthy food out for him so he can grab it on the run when he gets hungry.
You both will be just fine.

My son had tubes put in when he was 10.5 months. He had chronic ear infections (typically double) from 4 months old. Anyway, everytime we would do an antibiotic, it would take about 2 weeks for him to eat normal again. He would do fine drinking his breastmilk or formula, but he didn't want to actually eat much of anything.

My son is 19 months old and he goes through eating phases though. One week, he will eat like a mad man, and the next he'll just pick at food. He seems to just naturally go through phases. So it could be his tummy just doesn't feel right or maybe he's just going through a phase.

And by the way, the tubes were the BEST thing we ever did. my son had one post-operative ear infection that we treated with ear drops, but since then nothing. His ears drained very badly for about a month or more. It was this nasty smelling brownish yellowish think fluid...so if that happens, don't let it freak you out. It's just draining all of that stuff that's been causing the infections. Once the drainage stopped, it has been wonderful. It is so nice not to have a baby who is sick with ear infections constantly. Those tubes are miracle workers!

The best of luck to you and your little one!

this is a "toddler symptom" it is VERY VERY VERY common for a toddler to eat well one day then for a few weeks hardly touch food. try to offer foods you know he likes. also just keep up your normal routine offer him a tablespoon of each thing you are having at breakfast lunch and dinner. he will eat again i promise but you may also be right about his ears hurting. good luck with the tubes i have been there with my now 5 year old. tubes were the best thing we ever did!

1 / 3