My Cat Is Peeing in Other Places Besides Her Litter Box!!

Okay, my cat is about 6 years old and this morning i found that she had peed on my 16 month olds little Elmo couch that folds out for him to lay on (we just bought this for him this past Saturday and he absolutly loves it). First of all i was wondering if anyone knows how to get the cat pee out of it, we can't put it in the washer and this is brand new, this morning i put it in the laundry room and my son had a fit, i felt so bad for him, i think this little couch is his favorite thing we have ever gotten him! Anyway, any advice on getting the cat pee out would be great. In addition, we first noticed that out cat peed on our futon matress when i was about 8 months pregnant, didn't think too much of it, then months later we noticed that she peed on our dogs pillow bed. The cat does not like people too much and of course isn't really fond of our son so we used to let her go in our bedroom and shut the door, then we found that she had peed on our bed, so we started to leave our bedroom door open and she has not had any accidents, i think because the bedroom door was closed she couldn't get out and had to pee somewhere. We have not had any problems for months until this morning. I don't know if it is a behavioral issue or if she has a UTI or something else because it is not consitant. Sorry this is so long, hard to explain I guess, let me know what you think, should i take her to the vet or would i be wasting my money?

First of all thank you all for your responses, i really appreciate and am glad to know i am not the only one that is dealing with this. So after talking with my husband about what everyone has said and mentioned we have decided to take her to the Vet to rule out an UTI. Our cat is not spayed so we are going to do this as well, after we rule out the UTI we will get her spayed and see what happens, we already have everything set-up and will be taking her to the Vet tomorrow to begin the process. I want you all to know that we would never give our cat away unless she was dangerous to our son, there was a response about giving the cat away and how people care more about their animals than their kids and something about allergies. Well first of all we have 2 dogs and the cat that are all inside animals, the dogs are crate trained and very good, no one in our family has allergies nor have any of the animals ever been a danger to our son, so getting rid of our cat is NOT an option. We are responsible pet owners and will try whatever is necessary to not just throw our animals by the way side, we have had 1 dog for 9 yrs, 1 for 5 yrs and the cat for 6 yrs, to just give them away would be heartbreaking for us and our son who loves them dearly, he helps feed them, he likes to play catch with them and talk to them. So those that care, don't worry we will not be giving away any of our animals.

As for our new little Elmo couch, we have already bought a new one, i figured that once we spent the money on cleaning it and if that didn't work we would still be without the couch, so we rushed to Toys R Us last night got the last one and brought it home, and once again our son sat and climb and played on it all night, he even fell asleep on it last night, he likes to get his books and sit in there while we read and learn about animals. So last night when he went to bed we put the couch up so that the cat could not get on it.

So that is that, thank you for all your help in helping my husband and I decided what we should do, i will let you know if it does come back as a UTI. Thanks again, i love this site!!

I've had cats my whole life, and sometimes I swear they pee on stuff to rebel - almost as if they're acting out for some reason. She may be sick, or she may be jealous of the baby.

Also, how often do you change the cat litter box? Maybe she's peeing on things because she feels like her litter box is too dirty; maybe try changing it out more often.

Or she just isn't comfortable using it. Maybe try positioning it differently or putting it in a different area of the house.

As far as the pee odor, the only thing that's gotten that out for us is professional cleaning. Household cleaners and at-home remedies may work at first, but the smell always comes back.

Brooke C, who responded to this, has the right idea. I agree with her.

I have an older cat who does the same thing. At first I thought it was jealousy because of the inconsistency. Now I just don't know. There is no pattern in where or when she does it. I did take her to the vet and he gave her some behavioral medicine which worked for a while (or maybe she just didn't want to pee anywhere else at that time)but now it seems to not be working anymore. I am totally stumped. Sorry not to be of much help but at least you know you are not alone with this problem. Maybe someone else out there can help us! As for getting the smell out, there is some stuff they sell in the pet department at Wal-Mart or any pet store. There are different brands but they do remove the odor. It is usually in some type of spray bottle. As long as there is not material involved, bleach works pretty good.

Get rid of the cat ! It doesn't like people and is ruining your house. Cat urine is amonia and impossible to get totally rid of.

I would suggest that you check the cat's urine. Many times when a cat starts peeing outside of the litter box it can be because of urinary problems. If you are wanting to try a less expensive way of checking it, get some yesterday's news litter and then you will be able to see the color of the urine. If it is dark then you may want to see a veterinary. If not, then it more than likely is bahavioral. When I started dating my now husband, my male cat pee'd on everything that he brought to my house. Completely behavioral because he was jealous of someone else being in the house. Hope this helps.

I have been a veterinary technician for 15 years. the first thing to rule out is a uti. If you dont want to take your cat to the vet, you can get a special litter to use in the box so you can collect the urine and take it for urinalysis. if there is no medical reason for the problem, think about the following.....1.make sure the litter box gets scooped daily. cats prefer it. 2. have you changed litter? 3. did you acquire a new pet or did a pet pass away? 4. besides your son, is there any one new in the house or anyone who is no longer in the house? since it was happening before your son was born i wouldnt think that was the problem. if you have other questions, please let me know. thaks

You need a product that specifically states it is to be used on urine. Other cleaners will not take out the smell so your cat will be attracted back to the site again. Try your supermarket first. Look in the animal aisle or in the cleaner aisle or in the adult diaper aisle.

A couple of years ago when we were remodeling our new house, my "fixed" male (4yrs old at the time) starting peeing on things. I assumed it was because of the stress of the house being in a total mess. I hated to buy anything for the house in fear that he would pee on it. He wasn't shy, he'd pee right in front of me then take off like he knew he was in trouble. I did talk to my vet about this and he didn't have any real answers. Tigger eventually quit when things calmed down.
I did find some liquid stuff at a pet store called Happy Cat in a blue bottle. You just add this to their water bowl daily and is supposed to help. You might try something like that.

When I was little, we had a fixed male cat that would pee on anything plastic such at the Wal Mart sacks. Not real sure why....

I wonder if your cat is jealous of your little boy and misses your attention?

Not sure if any of this helps.... Good Luck!

yes you need to take her to the vet. my sisters cat was doing that as well and it turned out to be a urinary tract infection.

I think your cat needs to isloated and when you see it going near where it peeded before, yell and get it isolated. There is an enzyme that comes in a spray form that does work, but I had to get the sheets outside for a along time. No I dont think he needs a vet, just let him know he will be reprepamemded.

I had this happen twice, two different cats and two different babies. The cats were about 6 and 8 years old. One cat started peeing on my babies things, I believe out of jealousy. The other cat just peed in a few select spots in the house. Both were obscure places that I didn't find until it was way too late! Cat urine is definitely the hardest smell to get out, if possible at all. I tried everything under the sun (even pulling up the carpet, pulling out and replacing pad, applying Kiltz to the floor under the pad and deep cleaning the carpet itself). I can still smell that distint odor of cat urine.

Once the cats pee outside of their litter box they will continue to pee in that spot, no matter what. I finally had to give both cats away. They went to homes with no children and have flourished.

Sorry for the bad news but I would suggest nipping this in the bud!

1 / 3