My C-section Incision Has an Odor

I just had a c-section for the second time on Sept 24, 2007 for the birth of my beautiful son Andrew. Well my thing is in the beginning I had so many problems with my incision with odor pain so I mad a few trips to the ER the first time Dr said there was nothing wrong with my incision but that it smelled like infection but no other signs of it so he had the nurse clean it up and change the steri strips. Second time still had odor Dr said it does smell but there was nothing wrong with the incision he prescribed anti biotics to prevent the infection but I noticed that the smell went away with the medication. Anyway it's been about 6 weeks and the stinkin odor is back and very offensive I made a Dr appt but my real question is has anyone had this problem? if so what was the outcome I'm curious because I feel really bad about myself and this odor because I'm a very clean person who showers everyday.

Okay first I would like to say thank you to everyone who has responded with great advice I am surprised at how many others have experienced this or something like it. Well I went to the Dr's and everything was fine my incision is 100% healed and the odor well as most have said it is in fact the extra flab hanging over and it has trapped air so now I know what to do :) but thank you again everyone I feel so much better.

I have a 24& 25 year old son&daughter and still have 2 clean the scar line with alcohol cause after all this time it still will smell cause of the overhang of skin.i am only 120 lbs. Just keep up with it, it will get better.

I had that problem also after my first son. What my doctor told me to do was to take a shower and scrub as much as I could along the incision, which wasn't much, and then after getting dried off and patting that area really well you should try cleaning it with perocide/benadine. That's what helped me out. Hope it helps you too.

Is your incision kinda tucked in your momma chub? It may be staying a little too moist and getting smelly (think belly button funk). It may not be infected at all, but you do need to start taking care of it so it doesn't grow into something. Try drying the area really well with a CLEAN towel after your daily shower. Then put a little powder on your tummy. If you have a little "hang over" you can even put a little gauze in the crease or tuck your panties in there. (PS...I see this a lot in my new moms at the hospital...don't be embarrassed, it happens to many people).

A.-

Is it possible that you are not letting it dry COMPLETELY when you shower? With my c-section incision, I used a hair dryer to make sure the incision was dry after showers. Just a thought!!

I wouldn't feel bad about the odor, some people's bodies heal differently than others. Your body is doing what is should to fight off any infection! The incision won't take much longer to heal and you will be back to your regular, odor-free self shortly :)

Kim

I would not feel bad about yourself at all. I am sure due to where the incision is it is hard for it to breath under your clothes. Did they say you could rinse it with peroxide. It would probably be hard, but if you can let it air out. Good thing you are going to the doc though, infections can get bad if they go untreated. Good luck. Congrats on your little one by the way!

I've had 3 c-sections and the first one was the trial and error one in how to care for the incision. After your shower dry off and have someone literally blow dry that area. I have that dang belly bulge too and I am telling you it works. After that put a little bit of corn starch on the area and call it a day. You will feel clean and refreshed all day. GOOD LUCK!!

I also had a C Section about 2 years ago. My Incision took forever to heal (Felt like it) and my dr said to keep it dry. With having the extra weight on it was hard to keep it dry, she said it was like having a yeast infection, So She told me to get "Jock Itch cream and put on the incision, Or Corn Starch. My husband even cut up some new t-shirts (Washed 1st) and placed them over my incision too so it would keep it dry, I am not a thin girl so my belly hung over the incision and kept it moist. That might be causing the smell.
So I think maybe cornstarch on the incision might help, It sounds like it could be a yeast infection.....
ALso any time you are just home hanging out and not out and about, Keep the area open (No panties) but place a dry cloth on it too to keep the crease (If you even have a crease or tummy over the incision)..

Congrats on the little bundle too!

Dear A.......find a doctor who will really hear you. Be insistent on your own behalf until your doctor responds to your 100% satisfaction. Your incision is infected. Period.

In the meantime, consider getting Calendula tincture from the health food store. Follow the instructions on the bottle as to how to dilute it. Use the diluted tincture and dab on the wound using fresh, sterile gauze 3-5 times per day. This has helped in many cases.

C. Springer
Certified Homeopath

I suggest you try another Doctor. Sometimes a little switch of doctors helps. If you are worried and there is a smell, something needs to be checked out. You should not have a smell, please follow up. I hope you are feeling better soon, enjoy your beautiful new baby.
G. K

1 / 3