My Boy Said It Hurt to Pee

Tonight before bath my 5 year old son told me it hurt when he first started to go pee. He said it only happened this time, but I recall a few instances in the last year that he has complained of pain "on the hole" and occasionally it is red. I'm not sure if those are related. I am keeping an eye on his urinating to see if he goes more or continues to complain of pain that might indicate a UTI (he's never had). My older child is a girl so I'm just wondering if boys get the same thing as girls, where for whatever reason their privates get sore or irritated occasionally. My husband says he doesn't recall that happening to him, but he doesn't rememeber his childhood very much.

Hi K. -
Give your son lots of cranberry juice (or tablets) for the next few days, it will clear up the problem right away.

Good luck, L.

take him to the doctor. an untreated UTI can lead to an even bigger infection.

Yes, boys do get UTIs just as often as girls. Most of the time it is because they do not wipe properly (just like girls). I highly recommend taking him to see his ped. asap. About 5 years ago, I let a UTI go untreated (professionally that is, tried homiopathic treatment) and ended up nearly dying of kidney failure. This is not to scare you but please don't let a UTI go untreated! No one needs suffer like I did.

My son had several UTI's when he was young. I took him to a specialist who said cranberry juice and also lemonaide can help to prevent UTI's. If you son still hurts he needs to see his doctor so he can get the proper meds. If a UTI is not treated the infection can travel back into his kidneys and can be very serious.

1 / 3