My Baby Smells like Syrup

This is a really weird question, but does anyone have a baby with a unique smell like this?
My son is 1 year old. I rarely feed him anything that has syrup in it or on it. But he seems to smell like syrup a lot!! I don't notice it as much (I'm probably adjusted to it) but every so often someone will comment about the fact that he smells like syrup, waffles, pancakes, etc.
I'm not really worried about it. He's a really healthy kiddo. But my older 2 children never had a unique smell, and I was just wondering if I'm alone in this.

It's not from his urine - I looked up MSUD and he doesn't have any of the other symptoms. The smell seems to come from his skin.

As long as it's not his urine that smells that way. There's actually something called Maple Syrup Urine Disease (MSUD) which causes the urine to smell like maple syrup.

I would check with your pediatrician. Even if it's not MSUD it could be something else that is testable and treatable. Worth a call!

~ t

Just to be on the safe side you may want to rule out Msud. The thing about oders is it's hard to tell where they are really coming from, it may seem like his skin but since he is only one, his urine is on his skin (before you change him) and the smell could actually be from his urine. I would just check it out to be sure. It's a treatable condition (msud) but very serious if missed. Best of luck to you and your family. C.

The only thought that occured to me is that some herbs, Fenugreek and Chamomile can leave you smelling that way, either by ingestion or via breastmilk.

K. @ The Nestingplace

Maybe he's just a yummy little baby! :)

I found this:
http://www.onceuponalife.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2...

Not much info, but atleast you'll know you're not alone! :)

Edited to add: I just read that taking Fenugreek to increase your milk supply can make a mother and her baby smell like maple syrup, as fenugreek is used to flavor maple syrup. Interesting!

My almost 4 year old has always smelled like cotton candy!!! My husband and I joke about it all the time. I am curious to see if you get any responses that explain what causes it!

My 3 month old daughter smells like strawberries, but only the very top of her head, and we haven't feed her any strawberries! I ws wondering the same thing, what would cause this and is it ok? She is very healthy! We don't use scented lotionsor shampoo, so we are at a lose as well!

Does he suck his thumb or fingers or put his digits in his mouth often? I've noticed that smell on children before and it's usually their saliva- just smells sweet like that. When they have part of their hands in their mouths, well, obviously you would smell it more. The lady that said she smells it on her child's neck- could be from saliva dripping down during the night. Just a thought. The most recent child I know that smelled like that stopped smelling like that when he stopped sucking his thumb.

1 / 3