My Baby Is Eating Her Crib!

My 10 months old little girl is chewing on her crib, not the front part either. She is chewing on the sides of her crib and stripping away the paint and getting at the wood. She is doing this while standing up, so a bumper wouldn't work. Also, I give her a few toys, and she gets great pleasure throwing them out of her crib. I have tied a shirt around the area afraid that she is going to get splinters, but other than that I have no idea what to do. I know they sell the plastic liners for the front of the crib (by the bars) but I was wondering if any other moms have encountered this problem and what they did about it. I did try calling the doctor, but unfortunately she is out town. Thank you!

Just got back from Babies-r-us with the gummie rails and going to see how that goes.
Thank you soo much for sharing your tips and stories with me! It's nice to know that I am not the only one that gave birth to a woodchuck! I am so glad one of my girlfriends introduced me to this source it is awesome to read others questions/responses and know that you will get GREAT advice when you need it!

Someone mentioned the "breathable crib bumpers" but Breathable Baby also makes a "breathable crib shield" that covers over the tops of the rails down to the bottom for complete coverage. I ran across it when I was recently looking for a "breathable crib bumper" for a solid end crib. You can view the product on-line at http://www.breathablebaby.com/ where they also list the retailers who sell this specific product since Breathable Baby only sells wholesale.

T.,

we bought Kid Kushion® Gummi Crib Rail $12.99 at The right start you can cut it and place it any place you need it and it is easy to remove from the crib when you no longer need it.

I 2nd the Gummi crib rail. It sticks really well. It's advertised to go on the front of the crib, however, it can go anywhere. I put it on my daughter's crib at about the same age as yours and she's now 13 months. The protective Gummi is still sticking strong. (www.onestepahead.com) My MIL freaked me out and told me she might have some disease where she craves wood and could deficient in certain minerals/vitamins. Of course I called her ped that same day and he laughed. He was the one that actually told me about the Gummi protector. Said he had a chewer himself. What's the difference between chewing on the crib vs. chewing on her toys...nothing. Hope it helps. :o)

You could try putting in some of those "breathable crib bumpers" -they're basically mesh that lines the inside of the crib, sort of like the sides of a pack n play. Definitely give her something good to chew on - a nice board book usually does the trick :P

my first son did this and it was horrible. His crib now looks like a family of chipmunks lived in his room:) I tried everything, even called the crib company and the lady on the phone told me its the parents responsibility to have her child not chew the rails. UGGHHHH!! Anyways the last thing I did was attach some toys that he coould teethe on to the rails w/link a doos. Hope this helps.

My 10 year old son did that when he was a baby and he never had any problems. I wouldn't worry about it too much. We kept the crib and it is something he thinks is so funny now. He was a little beaver. He would do it when he wanted to get out.
Take care.

Hi there, My daughter was a chewer too. I had the plastic guards for the rails too and they worked really well. She did go through that phase fairly quickly, though. Maybe you could call your pediatrician to see if there is some sort of taste deterrent that would be safe (kind of like that nail polish that stops nail biting) if you can't get the guards to fit. Good luck! - S.

I was laughing so hard - thank you for this posting!

My little shark, who is 15 months now, has eaten our house; from our leather headboard, to electronics (remotes, laptops, cell phones), to all of her plastic utensiles, to all the toys - ANYTHING that is given to her, or she gets her hands on, goes straight into her mouth. AS a matter of fact, she uses her mouth as an extension of her hands. She turns things on/ off with her teeth, for example.

The other day she was standing in the doorway outside, looking at the birds and the trees, then turns sideways and starts eating the side of the house!!

We do worry a lot and have to constantly watch her to make sure she doesn't hurt herself by biting off small, sharp pieces. I just hope she will grow out of it soon...

My sister-in-law had the same problem with her son. She wrapped folded bath towels around the top of crib. Can't remember how she attached them. HTH.

1 / 3