My Baby Is Always Hot!

Just wondering if anybody has gone through this like I am. My daughter is a little over 3 months old, and she is so sweet and hardly ever fusses! I am truly blessed to have her. I'm just curious to know if there are any other moms out there who have hot babies. She is always hot...if I put a hat on her because it's cold outside I have to take it off as soon as we get in the car or she will start sweating...same thing with her blankets. Last night she would not go to sleep until I took her blanket completely off of her. I am hot natured, but I didn't realize a baby could be so much like that. Anytime I have her out people will ask why I don't have a blanket around her, but it's because she would burn up if I did. I'm sure other mothers probably think I'm crazy when we go out to eat because she isn't wrapped up. I've asked the doctor but he doesn't seem concerned, and I really think it's probably fine, but it just makes me wonder. Anyone who has dealt with anything similar let me know, all reponses are greatly appreciated! Oh I forgot to mention, I have checked her temperature to make sure it's not a fever...didn't want to forget that part.

Thanks to all who responded...it makes me feel better just knowing that there are lots of other "hot" children out there. I finally realized that this is why she no longer wants to get in her carrier because she always comes out sweating! I have stopped putting jackets/sweaters on her and just put her in a onesie and then a light blanket and a hat to walk to the car and she is doing much better with it. She is still almost always soaked when she gets out, but not nearly as agitated at me for it! I appreciate all the responses!

My son is the same way. He is a year and a half now. Everytime he is in long sleeves he sweats. Even in short sleeves and sometimes just a diaper. When he sleeps he always sweats and I never cover him up. He does just fine and has only had one cold. Hope this helps. Just put her in adequate clothing (like I almost always have socks on Riley)and you'll be fine and so will she!!

My son is 7 mths old and the same way....he just holds his body temp very well. I keep a light weight receiving blanket with us just in case but most of the time he is good with just his reg clothes......hope this helps :)

My 18 month old daughter is the same way, I just dress her how she is comfortable and carry extra warm clothes around in case she gets cold. I occasionally get comments from the over bearing older generation that lives near me and I Just explain the circumstances, show them the extra clothes and go on my way. I hope this helps

I have a 1 year old little boy. I know exactly what you are going through. My son DOES NOT like blankets at all. He sweats so bad that I have to put him in only a tshirt at night in the winter and nothing in the summer, unless the AC is on full blast. I have learned that he sleeps better if its cool. He is just like his daddy, me..I cant sleep unless I have blankets. I used to take my son out without a blanket all the time...mothers arent looking at you like your crazy, but I know how you feel..Sometimes I feel people are looking at me cause Im young and I have a baby out without a blanket or hat. I feel that they think Im young and dumb, but they arent.:-D and if they do...oh well, no one knows your child better than you do~!

HI THERE.
I WENT THRU TH E SAME THING. MY SON WAS BORN SEPT 05 AND IS A NATURAL SWEATY BOY. AT THE TIME, MY HUSBAND AND I LIVED WITH HIS PARENTS (WHO ARE ALL FROM BOSNIA AND DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH). I WOULD HAVE LUKA IN PANTS, SOCKS AND SHORT SLEEVE SHIRT (HE WAS NOT EVEN 3WEKS OLD). I WOULD GO TO TAKE A SHOWER AND COME OUT AND MY MOTHER IN LAW WOUL DHAVE 3 LAYERS OF CLOTHES ON HIM AND A HAND SEWN AFGHAN BLANKET. THEN SHE WOULD SCOL ME FOR ABOUT TEN MINUTES. I WOULD UNDRESS HIM AND HAND HER EACH AND EVERY PIECE OF CLOTHING (WET THRROUGH FROM SWEAT IN LESS THAN 30MIN)
HE IS NOW 16MO AND PEOPLE LOOK AT ME LIKE AN IDIOT WHEN HE IS NOT WEARING A WINTER COAT, ONLY A LIGHT PARKA OR EVEN A ZIP UP FLEECE VEST AND HAT. JUST KNOW THAT YOU ARE THE MOM, YOU KNOW YOUR BABY THE BEST AND FORGET ABOYT WHT OTHERS THINK.

GOOD LUCK.
L. C

My kids run hot too. I have taken their temps so many times. It has taken me a while to adjust to each one before I stop assuming they have fevers (they rarely get them). My husband is hot all the time too, whereas I am usually cold. I think it is just their body temps. I wouldn't worry about it, esp if your pedi isn't worried. I have just learned to adjust to it and now that they are older I let them be the judge of how many layers they need on (if it were up to me they would be suffocating in the winter, lol!). It will take you some time to get adjusted to her body temp but you will. The one thing I have had to do tho is to look for other signs of a fever since their heads are always hot. The best piece of advice I ever got was to check the back of the neck (nape) to guage temperature. If it is hot/sweaty the baby/child is too warm. I use this instead of my kids' heads all the time now. GL.

My son was the same way when he was a baby. He is 11 years old now. He is still 'hot natured'. I call it hot natured to the extreme. lol When he was a baby I never put a coat or jacket on him. I just covered his carrier up with a blanket so I could take it off him in the car. Just last year he started wearing long sleeve shirts. He usually wore short sleeves and a 'hoodie' so he could take it off when he got hot. His grandpa always buys him a big coat for the winter but he never wears it. Unless it snows you won't see a coat on my son. He sleeps with no covers at night. He says he gets hot. Sometime he sweats alot. He plays baseball and during both practice and games he attracts alot of attention by all the sweat pouring off his head.

I know what you mean about people looking at you funny when they do not have on coats and it is cold outside. Just ignore them. I see it like this....they are our children and we are with them everyday and know what is best for them.

Good luck and have a great new year

I'm not a professional, but my daughter used to be hot a lot too. Like you said, she didn't have a fever, she was just always warm!! (I can remember playing pass the baby at a soccer game in NY in Nov. - it was freezing and she kept us all warm!!)

My son used to HATE being wrapped in blankets - I mean HATE it. As a newborn, the nurses in the hospital told me they'd never seen a baby who hated being swaddled, but he'd cry and kick until he got those blankets loose!!

Don't worry about what other people think. Just make sure your daughter is comfortable and check on her while you're out :) Not all babies are the same, so they can't all be treated the same! Just keep in mind that babies under 1 year can't regulate body temperature very well, so watch that she doesn't get too cold.

Smiles!

My daughter is going on 2 months old and seems to be headed in this direction too. She's always warm and if she starts to cry, she ends up sweating! We try to just keep her in full outfits, to keep her toes and hands warm mainly, but she will not keep a blanket on her unless she is swaddled. I think she gets that from me. I've always been hot in whatever I wear. I don't think it's anything to worry about now that I've seen your post and other advice. I like you, checked her temp a couple times just to be sure. :)

Hi! My daughter is the same way. I blame it on my husband, even though I am hot natured, because he sweats in his sleep. I guess she's just gonna be like her daddy. No suggestions from me because I'm in the same boat. It's just the way your daughter may be, like mine. My daughter is now almost 7 months and she's always been like that. Just wanted to let you know.

1 / 3