My Baby Has Colic

Hey guys, I have a 5 week old with colic. I am breastfeeding him, and have tried taking out dairy, spicy foods, raw veggies and caffine. Nothing has helped. I have tried gas drops and that doesn't do anything either. He is on medication and it helps with his acid reflux... but he is still so irritable at night. He is very fussy at night, I have heard that there is nothing you can do about colic... we have started a routine with a bath at night to try to calm him... I have also heard something about the miracle blanket, do you know anything about that? Help me! Do you have any advice or tips on how to calm him?

Thanks to everyone who has given advice! I have ordered the miracle blanket, and the Baby on the Block DVD. We will have to see how those work! The acid reflux medication is helping, but he is still cranky at night. I am hoping that the blanket helps. Thanks for the encouragement and support!

Hi L.:

I know this was a long time ago so I hope that you get this. My children had colic and I used chiropractic care and it works wonders. It took it away compeletely in only 2-3 days. The practic is the Lomonaco family practice. Their number is ###-###-####. They are in Highland Village Texas. There is another one in Dallas at a yoga studio called Ohm Life. They are on Thomas Avenue off of Pearl in Downtown Dallas. Please give it a try (if he/she still has colic). I know you have spent money on other things but this really works! Good luck

I have an 8 week baby boy who has the same thing including meds for reflux. Baths have helped and so has rubing my baby stomach, start at the ribs and press down towards his feet slowly and also in circle!!!

If you find any other way please e-mail me at
Thanks
A.

Get the book "Happiest Baby on the Block" by Harvey Karp. There is also a DVD that is helpful. It tells how to calm any fussy baby but is especially for parents of colicky babies. I can testify to its effectiveness - works like a charm!

Hi, All 3 of my boys have had colic and I got a swaddle blanket from target i think called swaddle me and wrapped them real tight and they slept in a table top swing (placed on the floor in front of the couch with my husband sleeping on the couch to make sure he was ok in the swing)
My 3rd son did this for 9 months then was fine in his crib...

We also used a HOT SOCK, you take a tube sock of your husbands and fill it with dry rice and tie the end off. then heat the rice filled sock in the micro wave for about 30 seconds and place on baby's tummy (on top of clothing or blanket NOT on the skin) or place on your chest and place baby on tummy over the sock in the burping position with the sock under the baby's tummy. this really helped us.
Walking the baby helps also hold him like a foot ball with his tummy on your for arm. his head next to your elbo and his feet dangeling past/off your hand that is under his body... if that makes sense. hold your arm close to your body and walk, while rocking and swaying... the trick is to keep him asleep when you put him down :0)

You have received a ton of good advice. I add only this - I have two sets of twins, ages 1 and 4. They all had bouts of colic, some worse than others. My best friend in the whole world (aside from swaddling blankets) was the OceanWonders Aquarium Bouncer from Fisher Price. The vibration helps to calm. I left them in the bouncer for at least 20 minutes after feeding to help the food move downward - much like when you were pregnant with reflux you likely slept in a semi-sitting position. If the baby just cannot get past the gas problem, consider talking to the pediatrician about trying Nutramigen, a "pre-digested" formula. I had to use it for one of my twin girls and it worked within a few days - it was magic. For my twin boys, I took them off the formula that had extra extra iron, as the iron upsets their tummies too. Some colic is a normal part of a baby's life, and providing comfort is all a mommy can do. Tummy time helps a lot. Try putting the baby on your legs with tummy on bottom, and lower one leg so that rear end is elevated. Massage and/or pat the back and see if that helps to release the gas. Mylicon drops every hour helped my baby; you can mix it in formula if you feed formula. Good luck; this too shall pass and one day you will sleep again - just not very much. Be sure to take advantage and nap when your baby naps - mommy can't help baby if mommy is tired and stressed.

I understand your pain. My 2nd child sounds similar to your little Angel. It's so hard to be patient when you're running on no sleep. I was also nursing and tried what you tried and it didn't matter. All I can do is tell you what worked for us--Dr. Harvey Karp (bought the video, no time to read a book) the 5 S's are great, but didn't do all the tricks for us. She really liked the swaddling and sushing. At Babies R Us, I found a nifty crib 3-in-1 attachment (around $35). It has a vibrator piece that goes unded the mattress and it has several settings, plus the crib attachment plays the heart beat sound and others. That saved me some sleep for a few weeks. And Gripe Water was a lifesaver. We went through 3 bottles! You can find the Baby's Bliss brand at health food stores for around $12 a bottle. I liked that brand since it didn't require refrigeration. The Little Tummy's brand at Babies R Us is around $9 and has to be kept cold. it worked miracles--10x better than Mylicon ever thought about being. there was just something about it and the way it would suddenly calm her down! My white noise was the hair dryer. The vacuum scared her, but i rigged up a way to put the dryer on low and on a cool setting and i'd let it go! We stayed overnight once away from home and I did the hair dryer trick to get her to sleep and it worked great. Lastly my Baby Bjorn was a God send. it was the only way I could do any housework or grocery shop or any shopping for that matter. she wanted to constantly be close to me and it always worked like a charm.
And just so you know, I weaned her at 4 months and found that she couldn't tolerate regular formula. We are using Member's Mark Gentle Formula (Sam's). Love it!

Hope these are helpful to you. Please know that I didnt use all of these strategies at once. All of these are compiled after many sleepless nights and trying to find what would work so i could nod off for a while. I'm sure you've learned that what worked for a week or so suddenly doesn't work anymore...that's where this random list comes from. =)
Best of luck and sleep when you can.

My now two year old had colic and I feel your pain. It was such a rough time. I breastfeed as well and did not get to eat what felt like anything. The doctor gave her Zantac for reflus which helped a little with the spitting up. The best advice I can give you is take him to a Chiropractor. I cannot even explain how much this helped her. My doctor said it would not help, but after just a few times she was a different baby. I know it sounds crazy and it did to us as well, but I was ready to try anything. I would try taking him to one it couldn't hurt.

Hi L., I feel your pain. I had a baby with colic and reflux and it was bad for the first 4 months. We put him on reflux meds too which helped some, but not with him being able to calm down in the evening. We tried everything, the washing machine spin cycle, the dishwasher thing, walking outside, car rides, and music. I know it sounds crazy, but a combinaton of 2 things worked for us for the most part. A Rascall Flats CD (it was something about the tone of their voices), and running a vacuum cleaner. We actually would sit in the recliner and rock him with the vacuum cleaner running nearby. Like I said, it's crazy, but the white noise of the vacuum cleaner did the trick until he was able to start calming himself down better. Good luck!

L.,
We have been going through the SAME thing with ours.... and we tried everything... gripewater, mylicon, dr. karp, babywearing, literally everything! We had our little girl on a hypoallergenic formula, and at six weeks she started passing blood, so the GI specialist determined she has Milk Protein Allergy... now she is on prescription formula. We would have NEVER known! Sometimes cutting out dairy is not enough,is that is what she has. The GI told me had I been breastfeeding I would have to cut out other proteins as well. I urge you to seek a specialist, to make sure it isn't an allergy, because they can really wreck a babies insides. They can test the stool for microscopic blood. Or she could be struggling with reflux and need an acid reducer. An allergy can also worsen reflux.

Great Book! -"Colic Solved" by Bryan Vartabedian. “I suggest in Colic Solved that there isn’t such a thing as colic. Colic is instead a well orchestrated five letter-defense mechanism for doctors who are either outdated, outwitted, or just plain out of ideas.”

Feel free to message me for my phone number if you have any questions, or just need moral support! I am also a new sleepy SAHM with a little girl who will be 9 weeks tommorrow, and getting better day by day!

My daughter had colic really bad all day long. I took her to the chiropractor 3 days a week for 2 weeks, (that is how long the therapy is) and it helped out tremendously. I used Dr. Monte Horne in Sulphur Springs, he is great with kids. I also put her on Enfamil Nutramigen formula with gas drops in every bottle.

My suggestion is to take him back to the doctor. It could be something completely different. Also, try a test...does he only cry when you lay him down? How does he do when you keep him sitting up? This might be good information for the doctor. Not that this might be the cause, but I have a friend and an aunt who both have had issues with their stomach where the stomach has either twisted or reverted up into the esophagus. This can cause extreme discomfort when trying to lay down and sleep. Just another angle... Good luck.

1 / 3