My Baby Has a White Tongue!

My baby is 6 weeks old and has had a white tongue since he was about 2 weeks old. I took him to the doctor and she said that it was just milk residue and that it will go away on it's own. My son had this, but he only had it for about a week. Has anyone else had this problem for this long, and what can I do to get it off?

The white tongue went away on it's own at 8 weeks. Thanks for all the responses

If you can't wipe it off and/or it's patchy and not limited to the tongue, it could be thrush, which is a yeast infection of the mouth. Try wiping it off with a washcloth.

My son had it too when he was an infant. I think he had it for a few months, especially after I fed him formula vs when he drank breastmilk. Just take a soft washcloth and gently wipe his tongue. You may not get all but it will get some of it. I also used to clean/wipe his gums with the washcloth. Good luck!

my baby had a white tongue, too. It lasted a few weeks as I recall. Not bright white, but not pink. The doctor never said it was thrush, and it went away on its own. Don't recall it being a big deal for us. But if you're worried, then I'd give the doc a call to see if they recommend treatment for thrush.

Hello, my daughter had some white "film" in her mouth when she was a few months old. She had it for a couple of wks. I took her to the doctor and he said she had thrush. It was more or less a yeast infection in the mouth. She was treated with meds and it was gone in no time. And never came back. She still nursed with no problems. It could be this or just what the doc said. Have you tried using a warm wet cloth and wiping his mouth out. Hope this helps.

A.

If u can't scrape it off then it is probably thrush which is a type of yeast infection common in babies and u need a script for nystatin

Hi T.,

You should try wiping your son's tongue with a wet washcloth. They also have the baby gum cleanser, that you can use for his tongue @ Target in the baby section.

I hope that helps!

I think that is odd. When I took my son in for an ear infection the doc noticed his tongue was white. I thought it was jsut residue but I was told that it was some type of yeast infection so they gave me Nystatin for him. Its an antibiotic I guess for the yeast. Cleared it right up in a few days. You may want to check w. another doctor. No reason that he got it I guess its just a common thing.

When my daughter was about that age she also had the white tongue or milk residue as they say and it really bothered me so I just took a soft wet washcloth and wiped her tongue with it after every feeding and eventually it went away!

1 / 3