My Baby Girl Wants a Bra.

I don't know how to start this, but here goes...
Last weekend my daughter and I were out shopping and she was looking through a clearnce rack and she found a bra and panty set, size 7/8 witch is almost her size 7/8 are still a little big the child is sooo thin lol but that is another topic any way she really wanted it and it was only $2.50, so I let her get it and now I don't know what to tell her, she doesn't need it yet she will be 9 in a week and she is in 3rd grade I told her she could ware it at home and on the weekends and stuff but not to school just yet, I told my sister that about buying it for her she has a little girl about a year younger than mine and she like fliped out on me saying that she was too young to have one and what not. so now i'm thinking that maybe I made a huge mistake in letting her get it, I want my daughter to feel like she is able to ask me for stuff like that and to be able to talk to me about all the stuff that happans when you start to "grow up". I remeber some friends way back whenlol and they really needed one and would not ware it at all, I don't want her to be like that I want her to be ok with all the womanly things, but I aslo don't want her to ware it to school just yet because she doesn't need it and that could be a problem with other girls picking on her for it. I geuss I just need some advice from other moms, have I handled this the right way? I have talked to hubby about it but he kinda looked at me like what are talking about and he so didn't get it lol. I know my sisters point but I don't want my daughter growing up thinking something is worng with it either and that is kinda what I got from her. I would talk to a few friends but they all have either boys or really little girls. Let me know your thoughts on the subject, thanks.

thanks everyone for the great support!!!! I really should not let it bother me if my sister doesn't think I'm raising my daughter right, she is mine and I know her better than anyone ( atleast till she turns all teen on me lol ). I'm so glad that there are other moms out there who think the way I do about this. I'm so glad I didn't go off right away and tell my daughter that no you can't ware it now after I already told her she could, It really might have damaged her comming to me in the long run about other things, I'm can't belive how fast I got responds to my ?. thanks again every one you made my month lol

you know, L., i wouldn't get too worried about it if i were you. my girls are much much to young for this, but i remember when i was in 3rd grade every wednesday was "bra day", and all the girls wore bras! none of us had anything to fit in to them, and i was so skinny i didn't get boobs until 9th grade!! but i still wanted to wear a bra. one of my friends in 3rd grade gave me one of her bras cause she had a lot, and my mom found it and took it away from me. i was so dissappointed, and really felt left out at school. she's going to need a bra eventually, so i don't see any problem with having one this early for her to play with. good luck!!

I personally believe that if a child wants a bra that she feels she needs one for one reason or another. Maybe try asking her why she wants it. It could be other girls at school have one. Could be she watches you and she wants one because you have one. Or could be she is wanting to grow up a little early.

Hi L.-

I started to wear a training bra in third grade and probabaly didn't need to, but all the other girls were starting to. I think you are right to downplay it though, because if you make it a BIG deal, then she will really want to wear it! She'll probabaly forget all about it or lose interest on her own. Sometimes sports-bras are a good place to start too. My older sister called me bra baby and teased me relentlesly about it! I'm 25 now and she still calls me that sometimes!

Hope this helped!

I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. What is is hurting? She probably just wants to be like mommy. I remember my mom dragging me kicking and screaming to buy my first bra in 7th grade... I was a tomboy and so embarrassed to have to buy a bra LOL!!

Your lucky that at 9 she doesnt need one i have a 10 yr old how has to wear one is already a b cup i also have one 8 yr old that has to wear one as well but another 8 yr old that i dont think she will ever have to have one lol. I feel let them wear them now and gets them into a habit of knowing it has to be on is my thought. My one 8 yr old that doesnt have to wear does have a few that we got her and she wears them with certain shirts but doesnt always wear them . I really think its 1 mom to another on how early you want them to grow up there going to do it if we allow to or not.

Hi I just joined this group so I may be late with this advice but I thought I would got for it anyway. I have two daughters one 15 and one 18 and my oldest was the same way as yours at that age. I bought her a set of bra panty set that has the little mermaid on them and it really is no big deal. Its just kind of a phase shes in at the moment. There will be many more coming lol. Just hang in there and go with your gut. I hope it helped a little

hi there sounds like u had to make a tough desion here lol! its ok really my daughter was in the same boat and i see nothing wrong with it she has to learn some time even if u start her out wwith the training bras come on get her started now and use to them she will wear them like everyday with out haveing to be told. and my daughter started to wear ladies underwear when she was in 3rd grade there is nothing wrong with it . sounds like ur sister is a little too drama about something so small and innocent . it just means that ur little girl isnt so little any more i have 2 boys ages 13,11 and my daughter is 12 and she is in 6th grade now and she has worn one since 3rd grade. no one made fun of her or nothing. its part of growing up. she has had thongs as well to wear she likes them its called showing there style and taste in clothes if she will wear it why hesitate in letting her do so? she is matureing so and there isnt nothing that u can do about that u cant stop her from doing that that is normal u are doing just fine wiht her. let her exsperience new things and if she likes it let her try it. soon she will start to develope mom then what are u going to do? let her try it . good luck!

Girls are so much fun. Two of my three nieces had to wear bras by the time they were 9. the youngest is now 13 and wears a 36D.( and has since she was 11) Your lucky they also started their periods at 9. Poor kids. lol My mom had to force me to wear a bra when I was 10/11 years old. I still hate them.lol Anyway nobody sees any thing wrong with girls playing dress-up whats the difference in a bra they will have to wear and party dress and heels that if their lucky they will never have to wear. Live is to short to sweat the petty stuff.

Hey there L.!

Mom of four girls here...You're doing fine! All my girls started wearing bra and pantie sets at age eight or before. Makes them feel important and helps them feel like they can come to you with questions. My girls started out wearing them around home and (believe it or not!) at bedtime. The novelty does wear off when reality sets in and they realize that this is something that will go on forever. LOL!!! It's typical girlie stuff and as long as it doesn't hurt anybody, who cares?? She is a girl, after all....Just wait til she gets into painting her nails!!! LOL!!

Just Me!

Hi L.! I think you handled the situation just fine. The days when she really will need a bra are just around the corner and why not let her familiarize herself with one? She is obviously curious about it, let her put her curiosities to rest, and like you said, feel safe exploring these sort of things with you, not with friends who might not have all the info just right. It will set a precedent for future, more intense topics that are coming up in the future! So as long as she is complying with your expectations that she not wear it to school, no worries!

1 / 3