My Baby Can Read

I am looking into purchasing My Baby Can Read for my two children 9 months and 3 years old. Has anybody done this program and what are the pro's and con's of it. I am just wondering will the children be bored when they get to Kindergarten because they are already reading like a first grader and the other children are just starting to learn sight words? Any input is welcomed! Thank you!!

Thank you everyone for your honesty and input. I am deciding against buying it. I agree we are rushing our kids too much these days and they just need to be kids for as long as possible! I can't imagine having to show my child a video 2 or 3 times a day. No way I could keep to the schedule! I will continue reading and staying engaged with my children. They truly do grow up so fast!!

I highly recommend it! My baby started at 3 months old. She loves watching the videos, reading the cards and books. Its not work but fun to her. Just like the commercial says. At 4 months old she would lift her arms up when the fuzzy dog and little girl lifted their arms up. She is 8 months old and claps when we pull out the card 'clap'. Its also nice to get a 20-25 minute break when I need to do something like get dinner started. She doesn't realize it because she's watching the video and enjoying it. I will sing the songs with her or to her. She laughs!!!!!!!

We are contemplating this program as well. When I googled it, there were mixed reviews. From what I understand so far, it's basically memorization; some people are pro, some are con and believe more in the phonics program. If you try it, would love to know what you think about it.

I have never heard of this program and am actually glad about that fact. I am a first grade teacher and have a pretty smart child that will soon be 4. I never push her to learn anything academic. Kids will have 13 years of school. Let them be kids. Read to them and answer questions about academic stuff when they ask. Most children will learn naturally. Who cares if a child can read when they start school? Teach kids rules to games, how to play nice and be fair. You learned to read as most of us did not because our parents drilled us and made us do "school" at an early age but because we had parents that appreciated us, cared, and were involved. Although I don't know you, it appears that you are already setting your child up for success by doing, probably, the same things that you had done for you. Let your kids have an imagination and pretend. There is a reason that pots, pans, cardboard boxes, etc. are still favorite toys of children. Good Luck with whatever you decide. Dream big!

Hey A.
I think you're going to get a lot of mixed opinions about this program. I believe it boils down to what you do in your own home. Yes, it's better for kids to learn from people, not TV's, but if your child already watches Sesame Street or Barney, then what's the harm of letting your child watch a 15-minute learning video. Also, I'm assuming you'd be reading to your child anyway, so it's not like your child doesn't get human interaction too.

I think that the YBCR program is fine and gives your child a good boost for Kindergarten. Yes, they'll probably be ahead of their classmates for reading time, but so what? You can send extra books for him/her to read while the classmates are doing other activities. And YES a lot of the YBCR program is memorization, but that doesn't mean he/she WON'T learn the meaning too. Because think about it... lots of early reading is memorization too. Words like "heard" and "said" don't follow phonics rules. I think if a kid has memorized some words, then is exposed to other words that are familiar, it will be easy to connect the letter-patterns. And if a child can read "dog" and know it's a dog, then when they learn the phonics it will connect so much more quickly.

I do NOT have the program but have read a lot about it. If you search on Mamasource, lots of moms have asked about the program as well. You might find some more answers. Good Luck!

I am so glad you asked this question. I was looking at buying it also. After reading the responses and researching online, I have decided against it. I have two older children who are A students and do not struggle at all. I assume that whatever I am doing is working and I don't need to push this on my almost 2 yr. old. And on top of that I am pretty sure I do not have the discipline to put it on several times a day! Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Please read How to Teach Your Baby to Read by Glenn Doman.

I hold a Master’s degree in early childhood education and have worked in the field including teaching reading. The Your Baby Can Read program works because young children’s brains are developing so rapidly they can learn much of what we expose them too.

The BIG problem is that the material and methods used are not developmentally appropriate for preschool children and therefore could be HARMFUL to their development–mainly their eyesight and cognitive thinking skills.

Most of program involves things that research has shown if used too early in life can actually cause problems that show up in 4th-6th grade. Things such as vision problems, lack of concentration and comprehension, inadequate problem solving or reasoning skills, poor social skills and school burnout.

Spending time with the program also takes time away from the early learning experiences that any early childhood expert will tell you are far more important for lasting learning. It is better to spend time reading to preschool children, playing with them and providing hands-on experiences to provide a solid foundation for school and life. It has been proven that what makes children good readers is phonemic awareness not the ability to parrot or memorize, which is the lowest level cognitive skill.

Parents want to help their children be successful so, it is very important they be informed by unbiased experts in the field not, other parents or businesses trying to capitalize on new trends and parent desires. For the sake of your child’s future success in school, look into the research from early childhood experts who care about children.

Several books have been written on the subject including Raise a Smarter Child by Kindergarten by David Perlmutter, Start Smart: Building Brain Power in the Early Years by Pam Schiller, Einstein Never Used Flash Cards by Kathy Hirsh-Pasek & Roberta Golinkoff, Miseducation: Preschoolers at Risk by David Elkind, Your Child’s Growing Mind by Jane Healy and Mommy, Teach Me to Read by Barbara Curtis.

Hi,I purchased the program for my in home daycare. I have found the program to be very helpful as a learning aide. the children really enjoy the program. However, I believe the kids are more memorizing the video versus actually reading the words. I have also found the program to be much more effective with someone inforcing the video versus just letting it play. Overall I think its a good deal.But very time consumeing for the program to work.

I thought about buying this program and googled "my baby can read reviews" They said that the kids are memorizing the words like you would a picture of a bear. It is the opposite of phonics. They will have problems sounding out words that are not in the your baby can read program. That is just what I read but you'll have to check it out youself and do what you feel is best.

1 / 3