My Almost Three Year Old Daughter Is Always Pretending to Be Someone Else.

Hi Moms,

My sweet daughter is always pretending to be someone else. She is always in character. Whether it is a fairy, a princess, ballerina, a character from a book or one of her friends. Today we meet a little girl at whole foods and my daughter pretended she was her the rest of the evening. She does have an amazing imagination and I want to foster it. I just do not know if it is too much or if I should be worried.

I don't have advice, but have a 3 year old son who for the last week has been "living in someone else's house". Apparently we are just staying here and a little girl (with his same name and all his same stuff) is letting him stay in her room. :)

It's a bit hard to deal with, but I'm trying to let him explore this. It's starting to wane a little bit, so I'm hoping he'll soon move on to something else. I think it is normal behavior at this age.

I remember another little boy in my older son's preschool at age 3 who would be a different prince (disney) every week. He wouldn't respond if you didn't call him by his prince name. :)

She'll out grow it and maybe she'll be an amazing writer or artist some day.

I love that about 3 year olds. One of my daughters was Dorothy (Wizard of Oz) for a while. She refused to answer to anything else. It was so cute. She got over it. All of my girls (5) have done this. It's totally normal, and fun too. Don't be worried, just play along. It's not a bad thing.

Completely normal. This is showing you that your child is extremely intelligent, very secure in her own self and of course very creative. Foster this time. Help her with costumes, that she can put together.

Make sure you video tape this. I wish we had with our daughter. She was the same way and we just let her go as long as possible. When this part stops, you will really miss it. Imagine that have created, mimic other characters and people.. Pretty amazing..

My 3 year old was batman today. Complete with cape. My 4 year old was an oviraptor for the first half of the day and something called a "meep" for the rest of the day. No clue what that's about. I guess what I'm saying is, it's normal. I'll actually be sad when they grow out of it and stop wearing outlandish outfits.

That is a typical 3 year old. She "magical" just like my son. When he was 4 years old, he played basketball. Spiderman was his favorite movie and he would run down the basketball court changing from Peter Parker into Spiderman, right in the middle of the game. He's 6 now, and has grown out of that stage. Enjoy your "magical" little girl :)

This is sooooo normal!! Be grateful that your daughter has a wonderful sense of imagination. I would find a dance or youth theater group and watch her go. My daughter did a dance class when she was three and the teacher had many different costumes, it was something new each week. I'm sure Austin would have the same type of classes.

Charge up the batteries in your camera and enjoy your little girl!

It's a 3yo thing. My son does it ALL the time.

I wouldn't be worried. Both of mine did this.
Mine got so into it with theirs they wouldn't respond to anything but the name of who ever it was that they were pretending to be.
They are now 8 and 5 and both have WONDERFUL imaginations still.

1 / 3