My Almost 4 Year Old Pees All the Time!

My son is almost 4 and for the last week he is constantly in the bathroom trying to pee. He says he doesn't hurt at all, so I don't think he has a UTI, but not sure why he always feels the need to go. He gets upset if nothing comes out. He will drink some water and seconds later try to pee. I am just wondering if this is common in this age for boys, or if I should be concerned? He does have a 11 month old brother, so maybe it is an attention thing? Any feedback would be wonderful. Thanks!

Hi Ladies and thank you so much for all the feedback! So, my husband took my son to the dr. today and he does not have an UTI. They also checked his kidneys. Dr. suggested doing a glucos test, but didn't think it was necessary since he has none of the symptoms for diabeties. Conclusion is that he is going through a "phase" and it is nothing to worry about. So there you have it! Thanks again and I hope this helps someone else going through the same thing! -S.

S., he is going thru body changes and may simply be facinated with how this part all works. It is a new discovery that would have happened with or wihout the baby. I have seen this before and generally it ends when they get excited about someother change going on inside them. He is preparing to leave toddlerhood and go in to childhood.

I'd get a urine dip just to be sure.

Otherwise, between your 4 yo and my 7 yo, we'd have one normal kid....mine NEVER goes!

My DD was a little constipated and it caused this then resolved on its own.

He could have a UTI-it does not need to hurt when they go-or he is not emptying all the way. If he gets a high fever with no other symptoms get it checked for UTI, or has a fouls smell. My DD is actually going to a urologist tomorrow for tests-she had and still has a UTI and it didnt hurt when she went. Just a thought-have them test a sample! Hope this helps. L.:)

My son is 7 and still does this. Not quite as frequently anymore, but I think it's a nervous thing for him. He's got to have things a certain way, so I think it is a control thing for him.

We did have him checked for a UTI back when it all began. You may want to check to be sure.

It may just be a phase but just to be sure, I would give your MD a call and have him screened for a UTI and diabetes. Sometimes both will present themselves like this. Good luck and let us know the outcome!

After three grandsons and two step sons, I don't think this is normal. Take him to the doctor.

We had the same situation with my son. The UTI test was negative and the doctor said it could be behavioral. A friend recommended probiotics and they fixed the problem. She said he probably had a yeast infection that felt itchy to him and he could not tell the difference between itching and the need to pee. My friend's kid had been on antiobiotics, thus the overgrowth of yeast. My kid had not been on antiobiotics, but it was right after halloween and he ate a lot of sugar which fed yeast in his body. We bought Yum Yum Dophilus by Jarrow from Whole Foods. It cleared in a couple days. I hope this helps!

My 4 year old did that when he was 3 1/2 . I'm not sure why. We did have him checked one time for a UTI but he didn't have that. (He had a fever so we took him in, but that turned out to be strep throat, go figure). He would pee and then go outside for 3 minutes and then wanna pee again. This didn't happen all the time, but almost when he was excited and running around a lot. (I remember going to the bathroom as a child, running outside to play hide and seek, and as soon as I hid, thinking I needed to go to the bathroom even though I'd just been....not sure why or if it was the same kind of thing). We asked him if it hurt, itched, burned, whatever. (He always said no). We thought it may be an attention thing (we had a new baby too) or that he was wanting rewards for peeing on the potty. But that didn't seem to be it, because he would do the same thing if he was at a playdate with his friend, when I wasn't even present. We actually started thinking it might just be him being paranoid about peeing in his underwear, and wanting to run to the toilet anytime he had the slightest sensation to avoid an accident. He hasn't done that in a long time now though. Actually forgot about it til I saw your question.

My son is the exact same age and does the exact same thing (also has a little brother). He's got a check up next week, so I'm going to ask his doctor about it. Sometimes I think he does it to check out new bathrooms and compare the fixtures (he's also obsessed with those yellow slippery signs). His preschool teacher mentioned that he pees a lot also, but their classroom shares a bathroom with another classroom, and he likes to check out what's going on next door. He also says it doesn't hurt, but he doesn't seem to be able to hold his pee either. Its a little like traveling with a pregnant woman, every 30 minutes he has to pee. Maybe he just has a small bladder? I'm not terribly worried about it, but I'm going to check it out with the doctor to be sure. You might want to also.

My girls both suffered from a condition called frequent day time urination when they were five- my daughter once went 9 times before 9 am. They outgrew it, BUT, it was hard on them as they always felt they needed to go, even after they just went. Be patient.

Excessive thirst and urination are symptoms of Type 1 diabetes. This is easy to check for and rule out.