My Almost 3 Year Old Son Still Baby Talks, "Babbles" a Lot

Hi my son will be 3 in Dec. He knows alot of words and he puts together some here and there ("I want juice, I want milk, give me teddy bear, mommie will be going now, etc.), he knows about 150 words, but he still babbles a lot, alot of jibberish comes out of him. For example he would say some jibberish babble baby talk with mommie and juice mixed into it when he is totally capable of saying, mommie give me juice, we always encourage and remind him to use his words but the jibberish and babble sounds still comes out a lot from him. Should I be concerned? Did your little one go through this? He is a loving, expressive, affectionate, sweet,very active little boy with a great sense of humor, very friendly and loves being around people always especially family and friends. Pls. let me know if your child went through a stage like this and when did it pass. Thanks, moms!

I disagree with the whole "wait and see attitude". Call the ped or the health department and get him evaluated.

why wait? Time for a screening for hearing, for speech, etc. Begin with Parents as 1st Teachers....& they should be able to help.

I would go ahead and get an evaluation, it is great that he has so many words, but if his languge is effected by usuing words that are not really words, you want to know that as early as posible so that he can have intervention. Never wait with development, and always find out from someone who has looked at them, tested them, and tells you based on the numbers they see in front of them that he is fine before you ditch a concern. A speech and langague evaluation from a speech therapist is a win-win. You either walk out the door knowing that everything is fine, or you walk out the door knowing what you need to do to help your child. If you pick and choose which one of the opinions on this site that will help you the most, you still do not know for sure that you have picked correctly. Something about this made you concerned enough to ask, so find out from someone who can really put the whole thing to rest.

Follow your mommy instint, get him evaluated by a speech pathologist or a developemental ped (they usually have long wait), Call the early intervention of your area , usually they will send a speech patho who will evaluate your son (do this sooner since they only cater to kids less than 3yrs,if above the school district does),& all this services are FREE.

My twins had speech delayed, one still says words not clearly & is in speech class, they had speech therapy from age 22 mths & made huge improvement,(after age 3 only one still attends speech) the sooner the better....it wo'nt hurt him to get checked, i do so for the peace of my mind.

Oh God.
Please don't worry.
Your son isn't even 3 and you keep a list and count how many words he can say?
Don't over think it. You didn't mention a single thing that should indicate a problem. In my opinion.
Yes.....jibberish still comes out of him and you might as well get used to it.
My son is 15 and some of the stuff he and his friends say sounds like jibberish to me.

Your little one sounds awesome. And normal. Don't press for perfection.
Don't be overly concerned if it's not necessary.

You need to have him evaluated. Not to scare you, but Language is more than how many words he can say, it is being able to string them together. There may be something more going on, or it could be a phase that passes, but better to know. My own son is speech delayed, you could say he knows 150 plus words...sure, but they are not what I call "useful" words...he cannot have a conversation with us like other 3 year olds can ( a give and take of words)
Does your son become frustrated if he cannot communicate what he wants to you? Does he have temper tantrums? He may have no control over the "jibberish"
Because he is already 3 you might see if the school district offers any testing. First Steps only works with children up to age 3.

Sounds like he has a good vocabulary. Sometimes they just have so
much to say that their minds go so fast, they babble. My grandson who is
two months younger than your son, called the other night and babbled
on and on with some words thrown in. He does not have any speech
problems, he was just excited to talk to me. When I asked him questions
he would answer in words. I think your son is fine, but if you are worried
get him evaluated. Remember they all develop differently.

It sounds like he may be behind a bit in putting together complete sentences and using conversation. It would be a good idea to ask about this the next time he sees the doctor. If you can, you may want a referral to a speech specialist just to be sure. However, what I've noticed in working with children is that there seems to be a big jump in language development between the ages of three and three and a half. They have spent those first three years learning the mechanics of word and sentences, so during that six months or so they seem to be smoothing out the use of what they've learned and perfecting their language skills.
Meantime, the big thing is to be sure you are reading with him often during the day, and continually carry on conversation with him. Check yourself and others who interact with him to be sure you're not inadvertantly using some baby talk with him. This is such an easy thing to fall into when they are so cute and lovable. Don't try to talk down to him. He's not yet three, but he can understand you if you talk to him in the same type of conversational tone you use with an adult. Let him learn that if you use a word he doesn't yet understand, he can ask you to explain that word. Encourage such a questioning attitude in him by stopping to give him a good explaination and thanking him for asking you. One side benefit of this is that not only will you be helping him in his language development, but you will likely be gaining new insight into your own use of language.
I hope these ideas are helpful. I wouldn't panic over his speech, but err on the side of caution in getting some expert advice while you continue working with him.

1 / 3