My 9 Month Old Is Waking in the Middle of the Night...

My 9 mo. old daughter has been sleeping through the night since 6 weeks old. She has always been a great sleeper and napper. Recently, she has been waking between 11:45 and 12:30 for the past week, and I don't know what's wrong. I was prepared for this when she was younger but not now. She never has a dirty diaper, and she is not hungry. She doesn't scream, she whines, so I know she isn't hurt. At first, I would be able to go to her crib, pick her up, and comfort her for a few seconds. Then I would put her down and she would go right back to sleep. Now, she won't go down and she just screams. Around the same time she started doing this, I took off her little mattress pad thing because she doesn't spit up anymore and I didn't think she needed it. Without the pad her matress and sheet is kind of loud and scratchy sounding, and it's a little cold too. So, last night me and my husband put the mattress pad back on. We will see how that works. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi N.,
My daughter did the same thing. When I asked the doctor, she just said her cycle is changing and she may just want to see you. She'll get back to her own schedule again. It shouldn't be a concern for apparently all babies do this at some point.
In regards to the mattress, I would get a mattress cover (it's comfortable and it gives just the right cushion) and keep it there until she graduates to an older bed.

N.,

Do you think she might be teething? My baby started doing the same thing..and not being comforted very easily about 3 weeks ago...she has since gotten two new teeth, and I think we are finally back on track with sleeping.

I can think of two possibilities for her waking and not wanting to go back down.

1. Check to see if her gums are bulging because she might be teething. My kids always woke more when a new tooth was on the way.

2. Has she had a cold or runny nose lately? I ask because the Eustachian tube, which connects the ears, nose, and throat, is horizontal in infants (compared to adults, where it is angled for better drainage). That means that germs or bacteria that go in their mouth or nose cannot drain well. Rather, the germs/bacteria can sit in the Eustachian tube or migrate to the middle ear. If that happens, she could have fluid behind her ear drum or an ear infection.

I hope this helps and that you can figure out how to soothe her. Good luck!

Hi N.,

My kids still do this but they're old enough to reason with now. It seems to happen when they're about to master a new thing as babies. Now it's when they're stressed or worried about something; even if they're excited. My oldest (8) doesn't wake so much but he'll talk forever in his sleep. Still not very restful for him. Fun to listen to though. Encourage her if she's trying to cruise or walk and this too shall pass. Until she starts trying to talk!

FWIW,

Hi N.,

I feel your PAIN. My daughter Miranda went through this as well but it started around 6 months. It was horrible but she woke up several times. I nursed so somewhere around 9 months we began giving her cereal before going to bed. We also thought at times she was teething. I'm sorry I don't have any recommendations but sometimes it's nice to know you're not alone. I do know the doc told me that they start waking up and realizing your not there and it takes some time for them to sooth themselves back to sleep. Good luck.

P.
SAHM Mom of an awesome 14mo old girl
Owner of Kiddos Delight (www.kiddosdelight.com) Personalized Music and Storybook CD's for children

Mine did the same thing. What you are going to have to do and it is hard it go in her room comfort her and tell her it is time to go back to sleep. She will cry at first but it works trust me. Good luck

I noticed a lot of suggestions have been to go to your daughter when she cries out. If the crying out is happening at the same time each night, I would suggest not going to her because she will get into a pattern of expecting mommy when she calls at any crazy hour. This happened to me with my daughter and I would go to her room and peek in to make sure she wasnt hurt but not let her see me. Then I would let her cry out for 15 minutes; usually she would fall back asleep before the 10 minute mark. If she did go over 15 min. I would comfort her by patting her on the back and giving her a kiss; but typically it was still difficult to get her back to sleep once she saw me. The crying out stopped after about 4 days of me letting her cry for several minutes.

Both of mine did this. What I figured out is that it's a time of night where they are having a "light" phase of sleep, so when they were whimpering, etc. they weren't fully awake. If I went in there to mess with them, comfort, hold, etc. they'd actually wake up, then it was harder to get back to sleep. After going through it with my daughter, I was prepared for it when my son did it 9right around 9 months too), so I tried not going in there at all. He got himself back to sleep in no time (5 min or less). To this day (he's 16 months) he still whimpers or cries around 11pm most nights for a minute or two, then goes back to sleep. Occasionally he will sound really upset, so I go in to comfort him, but I rarely pick him up to do so. You might go in to comfort her for a couple more nights, but don't pick her up, and eventually stop going in there at all and see what happens. Good luck!

1 / 3