My 8 Year Old Is Throwing up at Night!

My daughter is 8 and about two nights a month she will throw up about two hours after going to bed. She is fine after. She doesn't really seem totally awake and she usually says she had a bad dream but she doesn't remember what it was about. Does anyone have anything similar? The only thing that keeps me from cleaning up a huge mess is that I hear her make a coughing noise - that I have come to distinguish and I can usually get to her with a trash can in time. If not, I think she would sleep through it.

Does she have nasal drip or possibly reflux. These were two problems I had as a child and feel very fortunate that my son did not inherit them.

My best advice to you is seek medical attention. If it is sinus related then that can easily be fixed. If it is reflux, then there are a multitude of treatments out there but they are best discussed with a gastrointerologist.

Does she get sick from eating similar foods each time? Maybe she should eat sooner so the food digests better before bed.

It could be acid reflux and I would ask the Dr. on that one she may need a scope cause my son did and they can find out whats wrong try not eating for 3-5 hours before laying down . Youcan look stuff up under mayo-clinic too or acid reflux, Im not sure what ekse it could be but thats what my son has. tc gl and Godbless D. Try propping her head up too or elevate it till Dr. time gl

If it isn't acid reflux or allergies you might also consider migraines. Nausea is one of my symptoms, and fairly common in children too, as I understand it.

She's just old enough that hormones could be playing into their onset, depending probably on how developed she is.

I know I lived with them for several years before they were diagnosed. I am able to negate them with diet, extra sleep, vitamins & chiropractic. When all that fails simple OTC Aleeve seems to work best. It's different for everyone though.

It's a common misconception that migraines are always painful or that you need a dark room and quiet to get thru them. You can have visual "light shows" (bad dream?), feel like you're spinning, throw up... the list goes on.

And, if she doesn't have any other symptoms, the effort of throwing up may cause her body to create enough adrenaline to stop the rest of the migraine from developing!

Talk to her Doctor and keep investigating... you'll either figure it out, or she'll grow out of it. Just try not to freak her out worrying about it! Sometimes our bodies (especially kid's) do weird things.

I hope you find a solution and that she feels 100% soon!

Oh, and Rotavirus is accompanied by a very pungent smelling diarreah and fever. If you've ever had it in your household, you'll know the smell! *ick*

I am an RN and I would advise you to take her to a physician to make sure there is no treatable physical cause. I would not recommend chiropractic for this sort of disorder. Beth Cita

It sounds like it might be acid reflux. My daughter is 3 1/2 and had been coughing so hard at night she would throw up. For a while we thought it was croup but took her to the allergist and he diagnosed her with acid reflux. She now takes Prevacid every morning and the problem has gone away. Occasionally she will have a bad night of coughing but it hasn't led to throwing up. Does your 8 year old suffer from allergies. The 2 seem to go hand in hand.

I was wondering if you every found out why your child was vomiting?? My son is 7 and has very similar symptoms.

Not trying to scare you here, but I recently a saw a program on the medical channel about the same identical thing you are talking about. The child there was having small seizures, and that is why she thought she was dreaming, and didnt remember the dream. If that is the case, there are medications for that but its nothing to mess with if that is the case. Just something I saw, and wanted to let you just in case. Could also be acid reflux but if you get the medication for that from a doctor, and it doesnt stop, you need to get her checked. Good luck....

Hi A.!! I feel your pain. I don't know if this would be an option for you, but my daughter did something very similar to this. It sounds like rotavirus. It is a virus that you can get from 1. not washing your hands very well after the bathroom 2. chicken nuggets not cooked all of the way 3. around another child that doesn't wash thier hands very well. Heck you could have been at a store and all you have to do is touch something that has been affected. The only way that your family doctor can test for this is through a stool sample. Now the only thing we could do was let it run its course. So it seemed like a camped out in my little girls room for months. YES MONTHS!! I don't want to discourge you but talk to your family doctor. Good luck and let us know if she is ok.

~S.

Get her tested for epilepsy! I was watching a show called Diagnosis X awhile back and a woman's daughter was doing the same thing, except she was all the way asleep and never remembered throwing up at night. The mom would hear her coughing and go in her room, she'd sit up in her sleep and throw up. It went on every night for a year because they couldn't figure out what was going on, finally took her to a sleep clinic, and they found out she had epilepsy. Hopefully this isn't the case, but it can't hurt to get her tested. Hope everything turns out okay for her! :)

1 / 3