My 8 Year Old Feels Nauseous Every Night.

Ladies,

My 8 year old son is nauseous every night. The pediatrician has done blood work and has tested stool samples - both have come back normal. For a while I cut out dyes in his food and am not sure if that helped or not, but it is almost impossible to keep him from eating food color. While at camp or with other kids, he shares food. If I were sure that food color was the culprit, I would insist on a strict diet. He plays normally during the day, but does sometimes complains that his stomach hurts. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?

My daughter always complains of being sick to her stomach too. Somebody suggested it could be too much juice (too acidic for their tummy). She had had success with omitting it from her child's diet. Good luck.

My advice: GET A SECOND OPINION! I'm not saying that there's anything serious to worry about, but seriously I don't put all my faith in one doctor. There are many good ones in the area -I'd get a second opinion if I were you. Good luck.

Given that the pede has ruled out other issues, I'd consider that it might be an emotional issue, rather than physical.

The first thing that popped into my head reading this was my daughter. She has a very 'nervous' tummy--when she's anxious, or nervous, or going into an unfamiliar situation, she gets nauseous. Is there anything going on (new school year, family stuff, etc.) that might be on his mind?

Hope you are able to determine the source of his nausea.

Has he been tested for acid relux/gerd? I have it and it is worse at night and in the AM it can be triggered by certain foods, fruit juices, etc. I had endoscopy to determine mine. If it is age appropriate try giving him some pepcid or prilosec otc see if that helps.

Sugars and fats can cause tummy aches. Have you tried removing most of those? Have you tried to give him tums? He might have acid reflux or might be gassy. Those cure a multitude of problems around here and the come in yummy citrus flavors - and they get calcium - albeit a very small amount...

My 8 yr old son does the EXACT same thing! He's been tested, poked, proded, xrayed, etc. Nothing. I have noticed lately that when he eats tomato sauce that the aching begins almost immediately. This weekend, he even asked me to stop making spaghetti cuz it made him hurt. I don't think its an allergy to tomatos, cuz he's been tested for that and eats ketchup with no problems. I don't think its wheat, cuz he does eat bread...but he's never been tested for wheat..

I don't know why the pediatrician hasn't sent you to a gastroenterologist. It could be as simple as heartburn or it oculd be reflux. Either way, if he has discomfort, it might be worth trying some heartburn medicine (doctor perscribed of course). I really don't like medicating kids and would emphasize diet, but there is no reason for him to be uncomfortable if it can be avoided. Also, persistent heartburn can casuse other sever problems over time and into adulthood.

Have you kept a food diary, where you note wha the ate and how he felt afterward? After a few weeks, you could start eliminating foods.

Also, cold it be stress or aniety? Does he have nighttime fears or fears realated to going ot school/camp? Anything big happening in his life? It may be mild, but if he is feeling a physical sign it may just mean he is very sensitive to his body's signals, which is a good thing for a young man to be.

Hope he feels better.

i've most of what afflictsy family's tummies including stress and post-nasal drip but i have not seen constipation. this can be a result of stress of problems with certain foods but can definitely cause naseau.

Has he been tested for allergy to Gluten?? sounds like he is allergic to gluten, a friend of mine has similar symptoms and he is allergic to all soy products,and gluten.hope you will find the right cure, it is so hard to have your child suffer and not be able to help him/her.

Hi S.. Sorry to hear about your son, that's a rough way to spend evenings. Good luck with a diagnosis, I hope he feels better soon.
~C.

1 / 3