My 8 Month Old Son Constantly Fidgets His Wrists in a Circular Motion

I'm not sure whether this is normal or not. My son is 8 months old and whether he's sitting in his car seat, on the floor, or in his discovery zone play toy--he constantly rotates his wrists in a circular motion. Is this normal? I ask the doctor and he said babies his age fidgets like that. But, its the same motion over and over. Help??

Thanks so much for everyone's advice. Glad to see we are all pretty much on the same page as far as what our lil' ones are doing. This site has truly been helpful.

Beth

Hi E.. I wouldn't be too concerned with this. My son did the same thing, only it was his wrists and his feet. He was always fidgeting. He is now 17 months old and stopped doing it. If I remember correctly he stopped when he was around 10-11 months old, around when he started crawling and walking. I think they just have so much energy they don't know what to do with it. Hope this is helpful!

My daughter is 10 months old and she does the same thing with her left ankle and foot. Well, does both, but 90% of the time it's the left. Her pediatrician says the same thing. That it's just a phase and she's learning the limits of motion and how her feet work in preparation for walking. Good luck!

Hi
I am a grandma to a 10 month old baby boy and he has always done that,he does both wrist @ the same time.But I understand his daddy did it also till he was 3.I find him doing that I put something in his hands to distract him from doing it.But I have noticed he doesn't do that as much.I have asked Doctors about that and he saids baby do this!!!!!!So just work with the little guy.
Good luck and keep working with him
Grandma

Your son has realized he has hands and they fasinate him .I have an 8 month old Granddaughter that does the same thing.The doctor told that was what was wrong with her.He said as she learns about other body parts she want rotate her hands and wrist as much.Hope this helps you.

My daughter did this...and (in fact) when it came to MEAL times, she spun her hands AND her feet constantly. She's almost three now. She doesn't do it anymore (can't remember when it stopped)...The hand spinning stopped sometime around the time she began using a spoon well. The foot spinning at mealtime continued for a LONG time. I now have #2 and think I am seeing the beginnings of him trying to do the same thing! Trust your doctor...keep him informed of it if it continues to make you nervous, but I think it is probably very normal.

Hi
Good luck and keep working with him
Grandma

not to worry you, however this could be an early sign of autism...i'd hold off on his next bought of vaccines and spend a lot of time engaging your son in floor playtime with mommy and friends who love him. Repetitive movements are always concerning at this age, it may just be a phase and nothing to worry about, BUT I would be caution as autism is 1 in 6 in american boys!

My 10 month old son has been doing the same thing for several months. He rotates his wrists and frequently studies his hands, moving his arms around. I read in one of the parenting books that this is normal, as babies are discovering how to use their hands. It take a while for them to learn that their hands belong to them and they can control them. I wouldn't worry about it.

E.,

Our 18 mos old daughter did this, too. It completely freaked out both my husband and I since she started doing it around 6-8 months of age last yr right after autism awareness month and all we heard on TV were the signs of autism. Of course, twitching and repetitive motions were one of the signs. And of course it started on a weekend so I got on the internet which made me really concerned b/c there was so much on there related to neurological disorders. I took her to the pediatrician and she said it was completely normal. She had no other symptoms of autism or any other disorder and was developing normally.

Our daughter did this for probably 6 months. She seemed to do it more when she was watching you and if she got excited that really seemed to set it off. Sometimes she would do it with both hands and on occasion I would notice her doing it with her feet. Long story short, she was fine but it was just scary for me as a 1st time parent. If you are really worried go to the pediatrician but if your child has been otherwise healthy and maintains eye contact and reacts to your face then it's probably normal.

Hang in there, it will go away when they master their fine motor skills and begin walking and playing. I didn't notice it stop but it has, thinking back it was probably around 13 months after she had mastered walking.

My son(now 5 1/2) did something very simliar when he was close to your sons age. He would clench both of his fists and release them, not really tightly, but over and over and over. (you get the picture).I was terribly worried, but he outgrew it. My father (who is English) said what they called that type of behaviour in England is "woggling". Not sure that this helps...

1 / 3