My 8 Month Old Isnt Gaining Weight

So he eats like a little piggy! But just wont put on the pounds. He is 29in long and 17 lbs but eats 3 meals a day and usually about 24-28 ounces of formula a day. He eats some 3's of the gerber food and mostly 2's. He can finish a 2 in one setting but usually takes two settings to finish a 3. Sometimes he also eats a bowl of oatmeal. Can anyone suggest anything I can do to help him gain weight?

Thank you for all your feedback. The doctor isn't terribly worried but she does want to monitor his weight gain. So once a month I have to take him in to get weighed. Im not all that upset about it, as long as he is healthy Im fine. He had some medical problems shortly after birth and had to be admitted to the hospital for a week, so thats why Im protective of the little guy.

Anyways, thanks again!

Is your little fella being seen on a regular basis by a pediatrician? If not...your first step would be to find a pediatrician and get on a regular schedule with him/her. It sounds to me like your little guy is eating more than enough...my "baby" is now 23 years old so I am not familiar with the "2's and 3"S " of baby food...but it seems to me like there is a possibility that you are feeding him things that his digestive system isnt ready to be processing yet. If he cant take advantage of the nutrition of the food that he is being fed, then he isnt going to grow and flourish like he should. Talk to your pediatrician about your concerns, I bet he/she will be able to put your mind at ease and allow you to just simply enjoy the moment with your son!!!
Please let me know what you find out.
R. Ann

My son was a baby who didn't, and still doesn't, gain weight very easily. He's always been in the less than 3% for his weight. He's healthy, just a petite little guy.
It sound like your baby eats great though. Unless he's having health problems it doesn't seem like you have anything to worry about. My son is now 18 months old and only 20 lbs. He used to barely eat at all, but is getting better. I think he was about 15 or 16 lbs around 8 or 9 months so it's not unusual. If you are really concerned you can always talk to your doctor. My Ped just told me that if he's healthy than to not worry about it. hope this helps!

My dd still only weighs about 21 lbs, at a year she weighed 19.9 and from her 8 mths to her 10 mths she didn't gain weight. However my doc said it wasn't a big deal that as long as she was eating and taking her formula like she needed to then it wasn't going to be a problem for awhile. My husband and I are both really slim and so are our parents. I wouldn't worry about it, esp if he's being active, i know my dd is very very very active and always has been and at 17 mths she is more active than some at her age. if you have concerns maybe bring them to your drs attention

My suggestion? Send him to my house. LOL My 8 month old has weighed 19 lbs at his 6 mth check up and I am guessing he's probably around 23 lbs now. He is not huge, but he is a lil' chubster though. :o)

I agree with everyone else and think as long as he's eating well and primarily not loosing weight then he's probably okay. I bet he'll have a growth spurt soon and you'll have bigger problems like cruising, climbing, walking, etc. to worry about! :o)

Honestly I wouldn't worry abot your son's weight unless your pediatrician is concerned. I was a very thin child... I didn't weigh 60lbs until I was 12 or 13 years old. My son will be 8 months old on the 17th, he only weighs 17.5 lbs and he's 28in long. He eats well and he drinks plenty of formula. He's also walking along furniture and crawling like a speed demon. Like I said as long as your pediatrician isn't worried, dont' worry about it.

My daughter is a year old, and she weighs a little more than your son. I was worried about her weight gain as well, but she was a small baby at birth. As long as the doc thinks he's developing alright, I wouldn't worry about it. You don't want to over feed him, you know? Just make sure you stop feeding when he's full, and you'll do fine.

My name is J. R; and if you just want to talk you can e-mail me at ____@____.com sounds as if he has an extremely fast metabolism. Which is a good thing.

Mostly, I am just writing to agree with the others. My daughter is 13 months old and still only weighs about 19 pounds. She eats three meals, two snacks and breastfeeds 2 times a day still. She is a little energy bundle ahead of the curve in learning and motor skills, but only in the 5th percentile for weight. The doctor is not worried, and I think it's important to remember that those percentile charts are just one of the tools to measure where a child is at. I can't remember where I read it, but I don't think they used a very large amount of kids to make those charts. Your son sounds like he is doing great.

1 / 3