My 7 Year Old Boy Will Not Eat

My husband and I are both small, our son has been small since he was born. He weighed 6lbs 4oz now at 7 years old he weighs a whole 40lbs my 3 year old neice is only 6lbs under him!! I'v tried ice cream instant breakfast pizza anything I can think of. He says he is not hungry and when we force him to eat he says he is going to throw up and sometimes he does. The doctor is concerened I'm concerened the only thing that keeps me from freaking out is he is healthy skinny but healthy
please help I do not know what else to do....

i don't understand. If the doctor is concerned, what did she/he recommend?

you could switch to whole milk for him. and grape juice instead of apple juice.

seems to me you are owed help from the doctor if he is concerned.

I study nutrition and natural healing and I have 3 boys,13,4 and 2. Children are more tuned in to their bodies than we are and they know what their body needs. They go through phases and growth spurts. It does not benefit them to force them to eat,this may cause more problems. When you focus on negative things it will just get worse. So dont worry,he knows what he needs. If your worried about him getting the nurtrients he needs make sure he takes a good whole food vitamin. Also make sure he's drinking plenty of water. When you choose food make sure it is as natural as possible,whole grains,fruits and veggies. sugar is not only unhealthy but it depletes our bodies of vital nutrients. Read labels,everything has corn syrup and sugar,try to avoid these as much as possible. Food is energy,good or bad. think of our bodies like cars,it will only work properly if we put the right kinds in.

Hi B.,
My son was the smallest boy in his class thru high school. There is nothing you can do with a hereditary trait. If he is healthy and the doctor is ok with it leave it alone. My brother is 5'4 and 64 years old! My small son is now 32 years old and 5'8. Quit knocking yourself out to make him grow. He will grow at his own pace.
Nan

The bigger deal you make, making him eat the worse it will be.

If he's not Losing weight don't worry.

My daughter is in first grade and pretty tiny too. She's 6.5 46inches and 48lbs. There are atleast 5-8 kids in her grade that are smaller than her though. There are several boys who are so darn small they're cute and look like 4 year olds. I'm sure one day they'll hit their growth spurt and take off and being boys eat their mom and dad out of a home. I've noticed comparing kids at school sometime between K-2nd grade they really seem to have a growth spurt and shoot up. I've decided my daughter hasn't hit it yet but the other kids have. My daughter's father is 6-4 and 300lbs. My daughter has the right genes to be big and she is a really good eater but she's just not hit that growth spurt yet.

If he's healthy that's all that matters. Why does he need to be big? My daughter was also 6 pounds when she was born and now at 17 and fully grown she weighs 95 pounds. She is by far the smallest of her friends. Feeding him the junk food won't help. Then he will only become an overweight small person. Plus you could be surprised when one day your tiny boy turns out to be almost 6 feet tall! It happens all the time.

It is so easy to make eating/not eating turn into a "power struggle". Please relax about his eating - present him with a variety of foods and increase the frequency of those foods he seems to like. But the most important is to RELAX around him and eating. As long as he is healthy, thin is OK.

The more I can ignore my daughter's eating, the more she eats.

Find something else to do B. ~ your son will start eating as soon as he gets ready to grow (which is about 13-14 for boys) and when you back off and let him decide for himself when he is hungry.

Research eating disorders on the web instead of how to make your child grow. Boys do get eating disorders too!

People come in all shapes and sizes - what matters is how we feel about ourselves. Every meal you insist that he eats gets him closer to feeling like a failure. Take it from a small woman who is now fat - forcing kids to eat so they will grow WILL make them grow - out rather than up. My parents made this mistake too and I have suffered all of my life because of it.

Take care ~

I would just serve food and let him eat what he wants. IF he's small, thats ok. IF he's losing weight thats antoher thing, but if he's just small, thats fine. Trust me, he'll catch up size-wise. But if you turn eating into a battle or start bargaining, it'll only exacerbate the problem. Forcing him to eat will make it a bigger power struggle, and it sounds like you are already in one. Make the food, serve it, and let it go. He'll eat when he's hungry, and I'll bet he'll eat a whole lot more if its not an issue.

1 / 3