My 7 Year Old Always Looks So Tired

My seven year old daughter always looks so tired and has dark circles under her eyes lately. I'm really worried about her because she's starting school soon and will have to be up early. Right now she's sleeping until 9 in the morning. She's usually in bed by eight every night. Some nights she goes right to sleep but all in all she is always asleep by at least nine. Anyone every experienced this before. I'm really worried. She seems to be sleeping well and doesn't wake up in the middle of the night often.

It sounds like she's getting a reasonable amount of sleep, so I wonder if the "looking tired" is actually due to allergies, which can also produce bags under the eyes. (Google "allergic shiner".)

They sell Claritin in children's dosages if she does have allergies.

Hi N.,

It could also be a symptom of being anemic. You may want to get her iron checked.

Here are a few tips to deal with dark circles:

- Massage Vitamin E or almond oil around the eyes without touching the eyes (massage must strictly be external). This improves blood circulation.

- Get a lot of sleep. Sleeplessness is a culprit for most health problems. Have a set routine and have regular sleep timing. Make sure you get at least 8 hours of sleep.

- Drink lots of water. For anything related to health, water is still the best beverage.

- Grate raw potato, squeeze the juice and apply the juice under your eyes for 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can also place thin slices of potato on your eyes (with them closed) every night before you retire. This is one of the most popular and time-tested home remedies for dark circles.

- Include a lot of green leafy veggies in your diet. Also include food rich in Vitamin A and E.
http://www.thebeautyinsiders.com/dark-circles-under-eyes-...
- Indulge in some kind of exercise like walking, jogging. Yoga, especially pranayama is known to improve skin health.

N., you might want to get your daughter checked for allergies. When my youngest son was 3 or 4 yrs old, we noticed that he had dark circles under his eyes and was hard to get to bed and to wake up. We had him checked for allergies and he did have them. Another thing we noticed was he was always pushing up his nose with his hand. I guess this is a classic sign of allergies - they push on their nose to try to breathe easier. He also had a line/wrinkle across the end of his nose, as a result of pushing on it constantly. The doctor told us that because he had difficulty breathing, he was not getting a good night's sleep. Unfortunately, the treatment was nasal spray - which he hated! Anyway, hope this helps & good luck.

N.

Does your daughter snore? If she is a heavy snorer it could be a sign of sleep apnea. I agree with everyone else that you should probably bring this up to your doctor and get his/her take. It could be nothing, but with school starting you want her to be as fit as can be so she can really concentrate on learning and having fun.

Try not to worry too much. The most important thing is that she is loved and cared for, and she obviously is!

If her symptoms seem to be more recent, could it be allergies? When you are at work during the day is she outside a lot...sometimes the fresh air can make her tired too. I know these sound like simple answers but they're worth ruling out. Hope she's feeling better.

You may want to mention it to your pediatrician. Children do need their sleep but she sounds as if she is getting enough. Your pediatrician may want to monitor her sleep patterns more closely. You also may want to find out if you or her father has ever had any sleep problems. Try not to worry too much. Good luck with everything.

Hi Nicole,
My daughter has dark circles under her eyes often too. the pediatrician told us it could be a sensitivity to the foods she has been eating, since she too was getting plenty of sleep and did not act or feel tired. she has soem funky food sensitivities and now when her circles appear, we think about what she has been eating.
A.

I would have to agree on the anemic part. When reading your post, that was the first thing I thought of.

1 / 3