My 7 Month Old Prefers to Sleep on His Stomach - Is This Ok?

We always put our son to sleep on his back, but starting this week each morning he is face down asleep in the crib. I'm worried that this isn't safe and he could be at risk of SIDS - is that possible with this age? Last night I went in several times before I went to bed to flip him back to his back and each time he flipped right back to his stomach with face buried in the mattress. My husband says I am just being paranoid. Has anyone else experienced this with their baby?

Thanks for all the feedback, makes me feel better to know he's not the only kid doing this. We don't keep anything in his crib and since I stopped trying to flip him back over, he's slept much better - all the way through the night the past few nights, which is a first. Guess he prefers to sleep on his tummy with his face buried, but he's sleeping well.

I was just as paranoid with my first child when I went in to find him on his belly. My Dr. told me that as long as they were rolling over that it would be ok. I found that he slept so much better too! I know at the child care center we have strict rules about putting babies to bed. They say that we must place them on their backs but if they roll over it is ok.
Hope this helps

I think its fine, my 6 month old sleeps most comfortably on his stomach, when I was preggie, I read all the books saying not to do this, and I watched him very closely when I started doing it, but I think 7 months is fine, he's more alert now, so he will be fine

It is okay for babies to sleep on their stomach, as long as THEY roll over themselves. When they are old enough and strong enough to do that, it is safe. Don't worry. :) My daughter did the same thing, and STILL sleeps that way.

I know this is probably not going to be accepted advice (medically speaking anyway) but, both of my kids slept face down from the day they came home! My first actually slept face down while we were still at the hospital - the nurses would lay her on her back and even bundled up like a burrito she'd roll over onto her tummy. My kids would not sleep on their backs. They still don't (I've got a 3 year old and a 1 year old). I tried, I really did. I'd lay them on their backs and they'd either wake up and have to be consoled back to sleep or they'd roll themselves over within minutes after being laid down.
I personally think that as long as you make sure the sheet on the bed is tight, that his blanket isn't too heavy, and that their are no toys in the crib he'll be fine, even if he rolls over. The tight sheet and light wiight blanket help ensure that he doesn't get tangled up while turning over. No toys help ensure that nothing can fall down and cover up his face during the night.

~A. C

I'm sure he will be fine, especially if he can lift his own head. I have 2 kids, a five year old and a 2 month old and both of my children slept on their stomachs from the time they were born. They just would NOT sleep on their backs. Of Course, I worried about SIDS then too, but before they discovered SIDS babies slept on their stomachs for years. I have also read somewhere that SIDS isn't caused by just putting them on their stomachs. It also has some mitigating factors, and when you add those together with putting them on their stomach they are at rick for SIDS. I don't know if that helps.

Hope this helps

At 7 months, he is old enough to roll himself over if he has any problem breathing, and he will do it if needed. He's old enough to have a preference in sleeping position, just like you would have a preferred sleeping position yourself. Try not to worry too much about it. Just make sure he isn't sleeping on top of extra plush bedding that his face will sink into, and he will be fine.

I am 40 so came along WAY before SIDS. I always slept on my stomach and still do. My daughter (28months) always did/does and I never worried about it b/c I knew I did it and I am super healthy!!! Some kids just prefer it. Baby mattresses are supposed to be firm so that babies cannot "sink" down into them. Also, be sure there are no pillows in his bed. My guess is he will be fine - he is just exercising his right to be comfy! L. :-)

Our pediatrician always told us that if they are strong enough to get to their stomach on their own, it's OK. Just don't start them out that way.

My son is 5 1/2 months old and has been doing the same thing for about a month now. I asked the pediatrician about it and they said that as soon as the baby can turn over on his/her own, there is no reason to put them back on their back.

my son did this.....our pediatrician said that once they can turn over on their own they ar ok. Call your pediatricians office and ask someone to call you about this to ease your mind and heart.

1 / 3